Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 22

Thread: 48% of all CMS websites are WordPress, and other stats

  1. #1
    Web Consultant
    Trinity i/O
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    9,628
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    1062
    Likes (Received)
    975

    Default 48% of all CMS websites are WordPress, and other stats

    According to builtWith.com WordPress makes up 48% of all websites online who use a CMS, a 7% (+1,149,956 domains) increase in usage.
    Even more interesting Squarespace (+151,867) , Wix (+154,783) and Ghost are also seeing a market share increase.

    Overall, a crap load of people are building new websites over all. 328,852,063 Domains were indexed online this quarter.
    More here: Entire Internet CMS Usage January-July 2015 | BuiltWith Blog
    Self Hosted WordPress Help & Support | @haroldmansfield | Trust No Wan

    Please take a moment to answer our forum polls, & offer your feedback & suggestions:
    https://www.small-business-forum.net...d-suggestions/

  2. #2
    Discount Prodigy
    Array
    Owen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Localhost
    Posts
    747
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    Well, it's official everybody. Wordpress has won the CMS war. I doubt there's gonna be another script that beats Wordpress unless something drastic happens.

  3. #3
    Web Consultant
    Trinity i/O
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    9,628
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    1062
    Likes (Received)
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Owen View Post
    Well, it's official everybody. Wordpress has won the CMS war. I doubt there's gonna be another script that beats Wordpress unless something drastic happens.
    I'd love to applaud that, but things change quickly. The cheap do it yourself CMS market is coming on strong. The tools are better, and they're easier to use.
    Site builders like Go Daddy and others are taking a hit. But you can't discount the big ad push that Squarespace and Wix are doing right now.

    I think when the dust settles WP will continue to be what "Professionals" use, and people who need more control and function than what pre-packaged solutions offer, but for the new start up, Mom and Pop who just need a 2-3 page presence with a couple of images and a contact form...people like me have pretty much lost that market.
    Self Hosted WordPress Help & Support | @haroldmansfield | Trust No Wan

    Please take a moment to answer our forum polls, & offer your feedback & suggestions:
    https://www.small-business-forum.net...d-suggestions/

  4. #4
    Registered User
    Array
    Brian Altenhofel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    899
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    109
    Likes (Received)
    181

    Default

    If you look at Top 10K vs 100K vs 1M, you'll notice that Drupal takes a bigger chunk (14.38%, 9.79%, 5.62% respectively) the higher up in tier you go. But that's because we build things like Whitehouse.gov and Weather.com.

    Of course, one can argue that Drupal is wrongly classified there since it's not a CMS, but rather a framework used to build a CMS.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

  5. #5
    Web Consultant
    Trinity i/O
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    9,628
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    1062
    Likes (Received)
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altenhofel View Post
    If you look at Top 10K vs 100K vs 1M, you'll notice that Drupal takes a bigger chunk (14.38%, 9.79%, 5.62% respectively) the higher up in tier you go. But that's because we build things like Whitehouse.gov and Weather.com.

    Of course, one can argue that Drupal is wrongly classified there since it's not a CMS, but rather a framework used to build a CMS.
    .
    The stats are overall CMS usage, worldwide. If Drupal isn't a CMS then you can't say it has a bigger market share of CMS's, right?

    Here are the Drupal usage stats according to the same website:
    Drupal Usage Statistics
    Self Hosted WordPress Help & Support | @haroldmansfield | Trust No Wan

    Please take a moment to answer our forum polls, & offer your feedback & suggestions:
    https://www.small-business-forum.net...d-suggestions/

  6. #6
    Registered User
    Array
    Brian Altenhofel's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Oklahoma
    Posts
    899
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    0
    Likes (Given)
    109
    Likes (Received)
    181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    And WordPress builds sites like GM, Speaker of the House and Nike. We're not whipping them out here, just sharing some WordPress stats in the WordPress section.
    GM and Nike are Adobe CQ. Speaker.gov is Drupal (as are almost all of the the House and Senate sites).

    I'm just noting that WP and everyone else shrinks as you get into higher tiers.
    Last edited by Brian Altenhofel; 07-16-2015 at 01:00 AM.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

  7. #7
    Web Consultant
    Trinity i/O
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    127.0.0.1
    Posts
    9,628
    Thanks (Given)
    11
    Thanks (Received)
    2
    Likes (Given)
    1062
    Likes (Received)
    975

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Brian Altenhofel View Post
    GM and Nike have a custom system. Speaker.gov is Drupal (as are almost all of the the House and Senate sites).

    I'm just noting that WP and everyone else shrinks as you get into higher tiers.
    I don't think anyone ever suggested that complex sites are run on stock WordPress.
    No one is trying to take anything away from Drupal, but WordPress holds it's own in the Corporate and Government websites.

    For instance, The Library of Congress website is on WordPress.

    You can actually see which departments and government websites use what.
    Content Management Systems Used by Government Agencies | DigitalGov


    The U.S. Government (GSA) lists tools to use for it's various departments as well
    Sites (which is on WordPress by the way)
    Self Hosted WordPress Help & Support | @haroldmansfield | Trust No Wan

    Please take a moment to answer our forum polls, & offer your feedback & suggestions:
    https://www.small-business-forum.net...d-suggestions/

  8. #8
    Discount Prodigy
    Array
    Owen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Localhost
    Posts
    747
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    I'd love to applaud that, but things change quickly. The cheap do it yourself CMS market is coming on strong. The tools are better, and they're easier to use.
    Site builders like Go Daddy and others are taking a hit. But you can't discount the big ad push that Squarespace and Wix are doing right now.

    I think when the dust settles WP will continue to be what "Professionals" use, and people who need more control and function than what pre-packaged solutions offer, but for the new start up, Mom and Pop who just need a 2-3 page presence with a couple of images and a contact form...people like me have pretty much lost that market.
    True, but it could always end up like free blogs did. They used to be big too with Tumblr, Blogger, etc. coming in. Now, no one cares. Everyone either goes to Wordpress.com or hosts it themselves on, you guessed it, Wordpress. You never know, it could always become what 90% of sites are made up of, or, someone will invent a way to make powerful custom scripts without programming knowledge or very little programming knowledge, enabling people to just use their own.

  9. #9
    Registered User
    Array
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    Location
    Beaver Falls, PA
    Posts
    835
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    4
    Likes (Given)
    17
    Likes (Received)
    103

    Default

    As fast as things change on the internet I will be surprised if WordPress is "The Thing" a decade from now. It wasn't much over a decade ago that FrontPage was "The Thing" That wasn't much after things like hit counters, laying out web sites with tables and Frames were all hot.

    I have no idea what the next better mousetrap will be but there will be one.
    Ray Badger, Turbo Technologies, Inc.
    www.TurboTurf.com www.IceControlSprayers.com

  10. #10
    Discount Prodigy
    Array
    Owen's Avatar

    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Localhost
    Posts
    747
    Thanks (Given)
    0
    Thanks (Received)
    1
    Likes (Given)
    20
    Likes (Received)
    77

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by turboguy View Post
    As fast as things change on the internet I will be surprised if WordPress is "The Thing" a decade from now. It wasn't much over a decade ago that FrontPage was "The Thing" That wasn't much after things like hit counters, laying out web sites with tables and Frames were all hot.

    I have no idea what the next better mousetrap will be but there will be one.
    Maybe someone will invent a thing where you put it on your head, you imagine what it would look like, then the computer designs it for you

  11. Likes MateoKingler liked this post

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •