Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Why Contact Information Matters

Array

I didn't mention anything about selling it. I don't want to get future e-mails from them.

If I send someone an e-mail (versus filling out their form), at least it makes me feel that they have to take an extra step to put it in their database. I'm just giving you my perception of forms. I don't fill them out, except if I've already decided to buy something.

By the way, I get almost ZERO junk e-mail (less than 3 a day anyway - compared to other people that seems to be pretty good).
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's no more difficult to add an email address from a contact form to a database than it is to enter one that is sent. A contact form arrives as an email usually. There really isn't much difference. Your assumption is that all contact forms add you to an email list. Some do, but not all. If you're filling out your email address in exchange for a free ebook or something similar then you probably will be placed on an email list. I use an email address I specifically created just for that purpose. It's not used for anything else so it's easy enough to delete any mail that comes to it.

With a typical contact form where you'd be inquiring about services you probably won't end up on any list. It's simply going to send the site an email the same as if you sent an email yourself.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I'm sure your right.

But, I still won't be filling out any forms.
    Steve B

Array

Default Contact phone/email

It does seem that the industry has a lot to do with the type of contact people prefer. It makes total sense to me that a professional writer would get contacted by email - when you receive the response, you have the first writing sample to base if this person will be the right one for what you need.

For my graphic projects I rarely talk to my clients on the phone and by far prefer to go back and forth by email. This is partly because I'd rather not have that phone time interrupt what I'm doing and I'd rather not be on the phone in general. But aside from personal preferences, if I get the info by email, I have written account of it, I can send online proofs and get a direct response to what I've just sent (again in writing) and both parties can respond with full focus when they sit down to do it. Having all their comments/suggestions/requirement in email form is something I go back to time and again. I don't have to take extra time to write them down somewhere and try to keep everything together and I have their exact written words to fall back on if they say I haven't done as specified.

I understand that having a phone number available may be a deciding factor for some clients but if that's their major mode of communication, I'd rather not work for them in my biz, where I spend twice the time on the job and get half the information for the same pay.

I have included a phone number on my site (very reluctantly), basically just to have it there, but truth is, clients will get a response from me much faster and more focused if they just send an email. And since we're working on more of a national/global market, the time zones don't get in the way of email so much.

For a service based industry however, I think not only having a phone number is important, but making sure IT'S ANSWERED (in a professional manner) when the client calls is essential. Regardless of the market, product or service, when I put in a call or email and get a quick professional response, I'm much more likely to go with that company.
    Small Business Graphic Design | Just H Design
    ~ Stand out. Like a wave on a mountain.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

For retail businesses I think a phone number is essential. You're selling something that could be the wrong size, color, break, whatever, and people want to be assured that there will be someone they can talk to directly if there's an issue.

A service business is a bit different. In those cases, I'd probably prefer e-mail as well.

Regarding Spam...

Set up a throw away email if you are worried about this. I have several. All my emails get spam anyway. I get about 500 spam emails a day. Most end up in my spam filter. Some make it to my inbox. You can set up a filter in outlook or Thunderbird so all emails to that email address go to a particular folder.

Most of the spam emails I get are because my emails are sitting in someones address book. A lot of spyware and viruses are for the purpose of collecting emails. Since I make a point of emailing my customers or prospects so they have my contact information, I'm likely to get put on lists, but its my way of marketing. The number of sites that actually harvest emails are pretty low and aren't legitimate businesses, just sites for harvesting emails.