Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is a pet day care a bad idea? Pros and cons please

Default Is a pet day care a bad idea? Pros and cons please

Hello, everyone. As some of you know I have posted a few months back about being interested in a staffing agency and getting into recruiting/HR. Honestly I've been trying to get into that industry and break into it for a couple years but it seems so difficult and I can't even get into entry level positions and get stuck with the usual data entry/customer service. I feel like I've had enough of Corporate America trying to climb that ladder.

Anyways, I do have a "back up" plan of a business I'm interested in. If there's one thing that I've always been really felt strongly for it's owning my own business and becoming successful like my family. Anyways, I've always loved loved dogs and cats are pretty cute too. I know it's weird but at a party if there's a dog I'm usually giving my attention to the dogs rather than people. I don't have a dog (I used to have a Rottweiler) but I stay with my bf and his sisters which don't allow dogs.

Anyways, I was thinking of researching into the pet industry. I've been looking at big pet chains, forums, etc. Maybe a grooming/pet day care and as it grows add in obedience training. If I wanted to do this should I get certified in grooming and training and also gain more experience working with different animals? Honestly I'd quit my job to pursue that and I have the financial ability to do so. I'm just tired of being stuck with corporate and feeling like a slave to their rules that make no sense.

I feel like this would be a good idea because I love animals and I don't mind picking up the poop haha. I'd rather do that than clean a diaper like at my sister's day care!

Again, I'm still on the journey trying to find what's best for me to own a business one day. I want that pride, my heart into it, and to be able to build it and say "Yup, I did this!"

Honestly I'm still interested in staffing but if I can't get the experience by breaking to an entry level position role where I know I can grow in that area then I think I'd have to look elsewhere.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

The first thing to do would be to look and see what the market is like in your area. Who's already doing what you want to do or doing something similar? What you describe is essentially a location based business, so you don't want to have too much competition - unless of course you're thinking of offering something that the other companies don't offer.

A pet day care is actually kind of a cool idea, and I bet there's a market for it. I'd start doing your research and see what that market is. No sense jumping in until you know your potential customers actually exist.

DDC, think about location, lease, improvement costs, monthly expenses, advertising. Then think how many clients I need every day to fulfill those costs and how many on top to pay yourself.
    I was dreaming of a DDC years ago but the recession came and DDC is an expense that many people will cut off during rough times.

I think I needed 30+ dogs daily to make a decent monthly paycheck.

short post, gotta run GL

Array

Has Frederick been around lately. His wife runs a similar business to what you're describing.

But...I really sense that you're just grasping to come up with anything that will get you out of a JOB. Which is fine, I don't think any of us were cut out to be full time employees here. What I don't understand is why you don't want to go the traditional route into the staffing industry which would be to get a degree in HR...not sure you can be anything but low level, entry level without that and then branch out into your own franchise/agency from there? There's some things you just can't skip when you're aiming for a particular industry...

Honestly the staffing plan is still my #1 choice but it seems like I'm not getting anywhere on that journey. I'm still young I guess, I'm 24 but still frustrating when you haven't gotten into the field you want. A lot of entry level positions turn me down for "experience" in the HR area which I think is pretty crucial to a staffing industry. I have experience with customer service and administration though.

At the moment I've been trying to find part time internships but there aren't any available at the moment. I had one but they said to check back next month for open internship positions. Should I just keep trying and holding on to this? It seems like odds are against me because I've been trying for over a year now. I think my best bet is an internship although unpaid and only a few months (3-5)

Btw, I do have a degree in Business but I'm willing to go back to school for MBA or Master in Human Resource if it may take longer...it's just it seems like it'd be a waste since employers seem to value experience way more.
    Last edited by msaelim; 09-13-2013 at 01:23 PM.

Default Good Luck!

I started a telesales business in the industry I was in for years. If I was starting from scratch, i would join one of the crowd sourcing websites and ask my friends and family to hire me for anything to start me off...then start trolling the help wanted ads. Unfortunately, you will have to compete with very cheap labor in other country's; however, it would get you started and that's the most important thing.

If you do start on those, send me an email. My company is about to start in a new market in California and we will be looking for IT industry specific recruiters - I will interview you if you are through one of the reputable sites.

Starting your own business and receiving a little helping hand in the beginning makes all the difference. I wish you all the best!

Array

id call around and find out how much they charge...then try to come up with expenses....figure out how much you can make

you may find the profit is too small

one positive thing I can see is there is most likely a high end market....rich people who want their pet taken care of....but to be able to sell them you'd need to turn your pet day care into an experience....not just dog sitting.....people pay extra for an experience for their pet...this will obviously be 2x or more the cost of a normal pet daycare

Array

Hello!

To be honest with you, I would really think that pet day care is a good small business for you to start. But before you start the business, try to research what this business is all about, and try to research your competitors and the possible areas that you think most customers are good to bring their own pets for check-ups, their offers, features, services, etc. Once you have researched them, try to take your time in jotting down the things that you would like to have in your pet day care center that are not available from your competitors, and try to compete with their prices and services as well.

The important thing is that you should think positive and become successful in the end. Good luck!

Dan

Array

"Honestly the staffing plan is still my #1 choice"

You will likely fail in any business if your heart is not completely in it.
    Steve B