Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: how would middleaged

Array

thanks alot...i guess i need to really look at utube....and then see if anyone here would be able to do it....
    the things you mentioned seem really logical... i have even looked on there once to see how to do something...ive ever really expored it except for music videos.........i could put my paint recipe on...
    it looks clearer now.
    an
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Array

I'm past middle age and just to give you an idea, here are a couple videos I found through searching on Google:

How to fillet a walleye pike - for my grandson who laughed at me when I said I'd find out on the internet

How to measure, cut and put up vinyl siding

How to replace a small section of carpet torn away (cats at work)

For our business, we are planning a few videos to show our products in action. All it takes is time and I'm not sure where that goes, but there's never enough of it.

I would think furniture care, repair and finishing or refinishing would be perfect on YouTube.

Good luck and have fun making videos.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I have to agree with the others Ann. The only way the you are going to get some real use from You Tube is to create something of value....a "How To", Design, Shopping Tips (Antiques), Fraud prevention (Buying fakes) , Garage Sale Jewels, Etc.

Array

Default utilizing YouTube

Ann, I totally agree that you could find lots of good things to put on YouTube. I guess I'm in the same age group as most of the responders here - I don't use MySpace or Facebook but have gone to YouTube to see how to do some minor repairs, indoor projects and just general demonstrations.

I think anyone who knows how to use a videocamera and has a basic video editing program can produce one. I've noticed on some that lighting is very important to pay attention to (iVillage did one on re-grouting bathroom tile and the light was coming in the window so the whole screen was very dark and it looked SO poorly done) and making sure the sound is clear w/o a lot of background noise.

I use Vegas Movie Studio Platinum which was about $120 program if i remember right and offers a lot of editing options, ability to add text and captions, cut out bad parts and splice together. I know there are quite a few similar programs for about the same price so someone who's dabbled in this a fair amount would probably be able to come up with a decent video if you put together the content well and collaborate with them on the shots.

I'd also recommend keeping it to about 5 minutes or under if possible. I don't know the exact statistics on attention span for these and the content itself will direct on how long it needs to be but try to cut out the unneccessary stuff that will cause your watcher to lose interest. And always, make sure your website, geographic location (if you're wanting to bring people to the physical store) and contact info are visible and easy to utilize.
    Small Business Graphic Design | Just H Design
    ~ Stand out. Like a wave on a mountain.