Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Some random SEO thoughts from someone who ranks well

Keyword selection is he major and main part for SEO. Once you have finalized your keywords, try to implement them in inner pages properly. On page optimization is the first important task to do. If you have done your ON page properly, then you require less efforts for search engine ranking.

solid and foundational advice.

Your Adwords comment seems like a blanket statement though. Adwords always outperforms #1 ranking? I've seen data that PPC does very well for transactional searches where a purchase is being made, but with informational searches, the CTR is very low for PPC and organic results do better.

All your tips involved on-page strategy. Do you do much off-page or rely on your on-page factors and natural linking that results from good content?
    I'm creating simple affordable websites for 200 Small Business Clients

I agree with a lot of points, especially patience. SEO is slow and grueling, especially expanding your wealth of backlinks and interlinks, but it will eventually pay off.

Also picking smart keywords to focus on is vital. Basically I make sure to focus on stuff that will actually drive site traffic from people who are interested in our website.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Furman View Post
    Here are some thoughts I have regarding SEO.

Disclaimer - I rank extremely well for several excellent (and expensive) keywords in a very competitive industry. I'm talking #1 to top 3.

My basic SEO thoughts are fairly "quaint". I feel Google (et al) logically wants to give searchers the best sites for their query. So I try and be that site. I don't care about whatever silly little tricks of the moment are out there - I just have a solid website that I feel is the best, most informative site for my industry, and I keep it that way. I truly feel that approach is the winning approach over time.

• I do all of the backend stuff, like page titles, descriptions, I make sure Google has my sitemap, etc. Wordpress has made this easy. I do admit to slipping on this a bit for pages I don't care about.

• For competitive industries, "time online" does matter. This is an opinion, but it's a strong one. I've been at this for more than a decade.

• I have good, clear content, and a lot of it. People actually read my website (at least the ones I want to read it do). I feel this matters too.

• My site is extremely easy to understand. No guesswork at all as to what I do.

• I do not spam keywords trying to get one page to rank for nine things (why do you people do this?) I basically make one page for each thing I'd like to rank for, and that's that.

• I update and blog on a fairly regular basis. Nothing crazy, but you'll never see my last blog post two months ago, either.

• I am patient. It took a long time to climb the rankings. If you need immediate traffic, try adwords. If you can't afford adwords, I question your business commitment. Sorry to all of you people starting a website with a $30 monthly ad budget.

Now, with all of that said, here's another thing I have found out:

Adwords outperforms even a #1 ranking

I have tested this extensively. There is no other conclusion I can reach - with competitive industries that have the full boat of ads (meaning three up top and a full list on the right) adwords beats organic rankings.

I *do* think that having a page one organic ranking *and* an adwords ad is a very strong combination. It lends a ton of credibility.
    I would have to argue this one:

For competitive industries, "time online" does matter. This is an opinion, but it's a strong one. I've been at this for more than a decade.

To the death... Time online is huge for competitive industries. Is it the end all be all... No but you need atleast 13months of web presence and atleast a few years of domain age for the very competitive.

Very down-to-earth. Great advice.

How do you handle the external stuff? I've found that a lot of the promotion done to build a readership double counts to improving your rankings.

For example, when you reach out to people with large followings to share your content, those social shares bring in readers and help your rankings at the same time.

I'm all for the long-term approach to SEO, but that doesn't mean you shouldn't be proactive in trying to speed up that process.

I'm by no means an SEO wiz, but from what I've done and researched, this makes sense to me.

Your thoughts?
    Are you wasting time trying to find leads on LinkedIn?

Take my short 7-question quiz right here and find out.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by JonV6 View Post
    Here's something to ponder. Does using AdWords also give your page an SEO advantage? Whether directly or indirectly?
    Yes and no-ish.

When using AdWords, it is vitally important to make sure the landing page for an ad is relevant to the ad text. Google ranks it from 1 to 10 (10 is best). If you rank below 4 or 5, your cost per click will be dramatically higher than if you rank 8 or 9.

And the same things that create ad relevance also create good organic search, so in that sense, they are related.
    Jeff Miller
    SpeedBinder.com

Quote Originally Posted by 0maha View Post
    Yes and no-ish.

When using AdWords, it is vitally important to make sure the landing page for an ad is relevant to the ad text. Google ranks it from 1 to 10 (10 is best). If you rank below 4 or 5, your cost per click will be dramatically higher than if you rank 8 or 9.

And the same things that create ad relevance also create good organic search, so in that sense, they are related.
    You can look at it a couple of ways. Adwords keywords -> ad -> landing page should be consistent and the landing page should be a call to action page as well. No more than 20 keywords per ad. Write a lot of ads and landing pages.

As you said, this helps in organic searches as well.

If you place well in the organic searches, I think you should still use AdWords because the prospect will see your name in the search results twice.