Thread: Partner submitted false information to Minnesota Revenue

Default Partner submitted false information to Minnesota Revenue

We were in business for a year, 4 of us equally holding 25% each. We have a document signed stating this is the case. We met regularly, each week to discuss business details. We had trouble paying our bills in the first year. In one meeting we voted 1/3 in favor of delaying payment of our sales taxes. When the business closed and everyone walked away, the balance with MN Rev remained outstanding. Logically, MN Rev assessed all of us personally by virtue of the signed partnership agreement I submitted to them. There were no ownership adjustments made throughout the duration of our business existence. About a year later, I could see one partner was no longer listed as and owner in our business profile with MN Rev. I called a MN Rev representative and asked her about that. I sensed that she seemed to think there was something underhanded going on with that. She insinuated enough for me to realize that the business partner, who now suddenly had no ownership in the business, had submitted documents prooving this. I requested a copy of those documents but was told they were confidential and could not be released to me.

The result of this was that everyone's wages but this partner's was garnished or a lien was placed on their property. This was her intent of course. I am not sure how to proceed since she did sign the dotted line stating profits and losses are the responsibility of owners according to theri shares.

How can I gain access to the documents submitted which reversed her ownership? and how badly is she breaking the law if she is lying in those documents.

Banned
    Array

Get an attorney. Now. This is a free forum with members from everywhere. You need someone in the St. Paul to navigate this for you.

Currently, I don't have the funds to hire an attorney. My finances were destroyed by the business closure. The debt to MN Rev is now paid up. Karma came after her best friend who was also a 25% partner, her wages were garnished the most, since she was the only remaining partner with a job. I either was going through bankruptcy, jobless and in the hospital birthing twins, or on unemplyment--all of which protects me from garnishment.

I don't want to get into a legal battle with my ex-partners. All I want is to file with the court a sort of legal order which allows me access to that document she submitted to MN Rev. I want to file that away in the event that I need it in the future. I have enough data and information on the company, that if they as well as the tax man, ever came after me, I could well defend myself against any crazy thing they might want to accuse me of, which they have had plenty time to do but haven't. The ex-partners also had access to all financial statements etc. However, I am fairly certain they ignored them/lost them etc. Their treatment of paperwork and proofs was exceptionally poor. I handled most/if not all of that.

But I'm interested in your imperative statement. Why do I need an attorney now?

Banned
    Array

Ok, I was under the impression you still owed money to MN and that by reducing the number of partners, your share of the potential liability increased.

But if the debt is fully paid, then your interaction with them is at an end and you don't need an attorney. However, if all you want is copies of DoR paperwork related to your partnership, you could probably get a local accountant to aim you in the right direction for a couple hundred dollars. Just depends on your state's laws related to dissolved partnerships and who has a right to get what from the state. And a local accountant with some experience should know that.

Thanks.