The very reason I started my site (below) was because most "startup" resources didn't really start at the beginning (as you have discovered). I wanted to fill in the blanks and really be helpful. So I started with the business plan. REAL help with how to write one. Then step by step how to start the business.

When I started my first business I started with the business plan. I did all the research first to see exactly what it would take to get started. When that was done I took it to an SBDC (Small Business Development Center) counselor. He loved the bp and sent me to local banks favorable to startups. It was for a brick and mortar biz. The bank forwarded my business plan to the SBA rep. They were all on board for a $300,000 loan. Steps were taken with the town development department (location had already been chosen during the bp writing processes). Then I quit my job and the bank backed out. DOH!!!

I ended up getting another job while searching for a franchise to buy instead of starting from scratch. I would write a full business plan for each franchise I was considering to see if it was doable for me. I ended up buying a retail franchise. Even though it was a franchise there was still A LOT of preliminary work to be done on my end (permits, bank acct, credit card merchant acct, FEIN #, setting up S-Corp, etc..). My story is also in my website below.

The main takeaway here is the business plan. If you are serious about starting a business (especially if you need a loan) the business plan is a must.