Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Host For WP based site?

Default Recommended Host For WP based site?

Okay, so I currently use GoDaddy like an idiot and my blog loads RIDICULOUSLY slow...

The Blog Age - Not The Ice Age loads at around 6-7 seconds.

I've considered buying VPS hosting but don't want to get a dedicated server as it is JUST a personal blog.

Any recommendations for a good host for a WordPress site?

Blue Host? Hostgator? Who?

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by PayForWords View Post
    Okay, so I currently use GoDaddy like an idiot and my blog loads RIDICULOUSLY slow...

I've considered buying VPS hosting but don't want to get a dedicated server as it is JUST a personal blog.

Any recommendations for a good host for a WordPress site?

Blue Host? Hostgator? Who?

Thanks!
    After the Endurance International Group issue last week (Hostgator, Bluehost, JustHost, and HostMonster)....

A cloud server doesn't really cost a lot. A personal blog on a Rackspace 512MB server will probably be around $17/mo once bandwidth is figured. What's nice is you could get an even bigger boost offloading stuff to a CDN and only pay a few cents more...
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Thanks! I'll look into them! Do they provide a cPanel as well with automatic WP installation on their cloud servers?

I'll give them a look but I think I still prefer a VPS if you know a good provider.

Or even just standard hosting somewhere else. I hear GoDaddy is notoriously bad for WP sites.

Which seems to be the case as this is the first site with this issue (and first WP site).
    Last edited by PayForWords; 08-08-2013 at 08:37 PM.

Why not PM MyITGuy on this forum he does hosting.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    Why not PM MyITGuy on this forum he does hosting.
    Thanks for the mention Bill! PayForWords, check out the links in my signature to see what hosting services I provide (In all fairness, check out Brian's above as well).

In the event your looking for something more, I'd recommend Burst.net. I currently have a few VPS's with them for my DNS Cluster (Geographically dispersed) and the only issues I've had is a few minutes of downtime in the Chicago location.

If you go with a VPS, be prepared to pay about $15 extra for a cPanel license if you require this control panel. Otherwise you can use the command line, Webmin or some other free control panels that are available (Migrations would not be as easy).

Thanks! I'll look into them! Do they provide a cPanel as well with automatic WP installation on their cloud servers?
    They don't do cPanel - the server is your bare server. They *do* have a deployments feature coming soon, currently in invite-only testing.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Array

I just tested using Pingdom and your site loaded in 9.02 seconds
    Website speed test

Try disabling the Yoast SEO Plugin and see how that impacts the load time.[/QUOTE]

I use Hostgator in combination with Cloudflare and get good load times. I like to stick with the big hosting companies and I haven't had any major issues with HostGator over 10+ years.

I just made this video for installing Wordpress on Hostgator cpanel. Most of us know how but this is good for beginners. Install Wordpress On Hostgator Hosting - Under 5 Minutes - YouTube
    I'm creating simple affordable websites for 200 Small Business Clients

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Just an FYI, yes Go Daddy sucks...however I have clients on Go Daddy that I haven't been able to talk into moving and I've been able to speed up their sites significantly by using P3 Profiler to find the culprits:
    WordPress › P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) WordPress Plugins
    And then I think Go Daddy recommends WP Super Cache for sites on their servers. I tried W3 Total Cache on Go Daddy and thier techs told me Super Cache is what they recommend.

But if you have the means to move, then that would be my best recommendation. Pretty much anything ( other than 1&1) will be a step better.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Just an FYI, yes Go Daddy sucks...however I have clients on Go Daddy that I haven't been able to talk into moving and I've been able to speed up their sites significantly by using P3 Profiler to find the culprits:
    WordPress › P3 (Plugin Performance Profiler) WordPress Plugins
    And then I think Go Daddy recommends WP Super Cache for sites on their servers. I tried W3 Total Cache on Go Daddy and thier techs told me Super Cache is what they recommend.

But if you have the means to move, then that would be my best recommendation. Pretty much anything ( other than 1&1) will be a step better.

I ran that tool and it said my total plugin impact time wise was 3.9%. Also, the problem was here before I had any plugins at all.

I've been able to get it down some by enabling caching but it has never been this slow for me before. I wonder if upgrading will help?

I'm on their lowest hosting plan currently.