Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Recommended Host For WP based site?

Quote Originally Posted by PayForWords View Post
    I've been thinking about trying Host Gator's Level 1 VPS. Would that be sufficient for a blog? Updated 4-5X a week?
    WebHostingTalk.com is a great place for finding out about hosts.

https://www.google.com/search?q=host...ostingtalk.com
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Call me crazy but I just don't see why you would need to pay for VPS for 1 low-med traffic blog, unless you just wanted the extra hosting to play with some future projects.

I could see it if you were running a WordPress Network, or were hosting video, or had a lot of traffic. Plenty of people are running 1 or 2 websites are using shared hosting just fine. As I mentioned, never had a problem with Bluehost and have worked on sites on Hostgator that seem to perform well too.

Don't let your experience at Go Daddy cause you to over spend. Just do a little homework, and ask around...just like you are doing.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 08-11-2013 at 12:23 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Call me crazy but I just don't see why you would need to pay for VPS for 1 low-med traffic blog, unless you just wanted the extra hosting to play with some future projects.

I could see it if you were running a WordPress Network, or were hosting video, or had a lot of traffic. Plenty of people are running 1 or 2 websites are using shared hosting just fine. As I mentioned, never had a problem with Bluehost and have worked on sites on Hostgator that seem to perform well too.

Don't let your experience at Go Daddy cause you to over spend. Just do a little homework, and ask around...just like you are doing.

Well, I have 4 or 5 sites that I would be carrying over. One site is already on a dedicated server and gets 30K uniques a month.

The other 4 or 5 probably get in the range of 3,000 to 5,000 visitors a month. Those are the ones that I would carry over.

I'll give someone a test run first though and move one site to normal hosting and see how it does. Thanks.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

The other 4 or 5 probably get in the range of 3,000 to 5,000 visitors a month. Those are the ones that I would carry over.
    Yeah, then it would definitely be best to go better than shared. Can't your dedicated server handle the other 4 or 5 sites? Is it a consistent 3-5k a month on each?
    So we are looking at an average of 46k a month between the 6 sites? 1500 visitors a day between all sites. You should be able to run it all from one account with plenty of room to spare.

Maybe one of the hosting guys can chime in on that one.

My experience (with my own sites and acquiring hosting customers) is that many shared hosts cut you off between 1500 and 2K visitors/day, or basically 45K-60K/mo. In fact, my most recent development client had a static site on a shared host (but it did have a lot of images) that suspended their account daily as soon as they hit ~1800 visitors that day. Suspended as in email and DNS also failed.

I have a vBulletin site that gets over 3M/mo. It ran just fine on a non-optimized LAMP stack on a 2GB server up to ~900 concurrent users without crashing (except the VPS host kept tripping over the power cord). Two 512MB web servers (with Varnish, Nginx, PHP-FPM, APC, and Memcache) and a 1GB database server (Percona) handle ~1200 concurrent users and still maintain sub-4s load times (though I am cheating by offloading most images, javascript, and css to a CDN).

Basically, at 46K/mo, a VPS will definitely handle it if your application isn't insane.
    || VMdoh - Drupal development, consulting, and support

Array

I appreciate the info but that isn't the domain in question. That page actually loads as quickly as it should (2 or 3 seconds usually).
    In that case, the server is likely to be even more oversubscribed with 6,107 domains on the same IP
    Reverse IP Lookup - ViewDNS.info

I've been thinking about trying Host Gator's Level 1 VPS. Would that be sufficient for a blog? Updated 4-5X a week?
    A good shared host would be more than sufficient...I.E. Avoid GoDaddy/Hostgator anything.
    Last edited by MyITGuy; 08-11-2013 at 08:16 PM.

Array

My Word! On one IP address? Surely those aren't all active websites, or is there any way to tell?
    Yep, one IP Address.

You won't be able to tell if they are all active unless you manually visit each one (Or find an automated way), but what I tend to see is a single customer may have a dozen domains on the same account. Some may all point to the same website, others may all have their own websites.

Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    Yep, one IP Address.

You won't be able to tell if they are all active unless you manually visit each one (Or find an automated way), but what I tend to see is a single customer may have a dozen domains on the same account. Some may all point to the same website, others may all have their own websites.
    Not even surprised. I've heard this from A LOT of people. Thanks for the info!

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    Yep, one IP Address.

I usually try and get everything on it's own IP...2 per at the least. I have an IP address with 4 sites on it and I think THAT'S crowded and have been thinking about breaking one of them off.
    With so many sites crammed on one IP, it has to be too easy to end up collateral damage if someone else using the same IP gets banned.

Array

I usually try and get everything on it's own IP...2 per at the least. I have an IP address with 4 sites on it and I think THAT'S crowded and have been thinking about breaking one of them off.
    With so many sites crammed on one IP, it has to be too easy to end up collateral damage if someone else using the same IP gets banned.
    You may notice an increase in your costs if you continue down this path. IPv4 addresses are limited right now and the supply will eventually be exhausted, driving prices up (Some DC's are charging $5/IP per month now).

There really isn't much of a benefit to separate IP's for domains now as the popular items that would cause concern are now looking up based on domain, instead of IP Address (I.E. Webfilters, SSL Certificates and etc).

The only service that is a concern would be outbound mail...but in most cases your outbound mail will route over the hosts shared IP address instead of your dedicated IP address anyhow (Unless you have a VPS/Dedicated server and are binding domains to this specific address)