Thread: So is USPS still the cheapest method of shipping for a business?

Question So is USPS still the cheapest method of shipping for a business?

Hey guys, so we've been using USPS and Endicia for a while. We are a publisher of specialty hardcover books that can get heavy and ship usually via Media Mail or International Priority (but now International First Class is often cheaper).

When USPS raised their rates by 50% in March, it really hurt.

But is it still the cheapest? Are there programs for small businesses through UPS or Fedex where they end up being cheaper? Or are they still a slightly pricier option?

Thanks for any feedback, guys!

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

That going to be hard for anyone to answer. Rates aren't the same for everyone depending on where they are shipping from. UPS may be the cheapest option for me, but USPS may be the cheapest option for you.

Where are you in the world?
    Are you shipping books in bulk or individual copies?

This is one of those things that you will probably have to investigate based on your particulars. I don't think anyone here can tell you what the best option for shipping is for your specific business and situation.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

It depends so much on how much volume you're doing and what sort of rates your business can get from Fed Ex and UPS. I know, in the case of the company I work for, it is cheaper to ship some things Fed Ex rather than USPS, but that's because we get really good rates because we ship a ton with Fed Ex. Harold is right, the only way to know for sure is to take your particulars and compare.

I get more deliveries from UPS which would lead me to believe they are the least expensive. However, large companies negotiate special deals. The company I represent is very large and they use FedEx.

If you are a small business, I would do a comparison of various locations and weights and see what makes the most sense. If you are shipping some packages with expedited shipping I'd look at that to. One may be better for overnight shipping while worse for ground?