Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: In SEO Small Things Can Add Up To A Big Difference

Array

@Bill I agree there's nothing wrong with using the terms in the right places and even several times when it makes sense.

@Vangogh - yup I exaggerated to make the point how writing text for the engines and not for the customer kills the whole point of having the web site. Write your headers and content for the client. Lead them where you want them to go with artful words and layout. After that - if it is possible to tweak the text a bit to make sure Google and other SE's truly understand the theme of your page - great. Otherwise IMHO (and I know you probably feel the same based on prior posts of yours) SEO takes a back seat to customer needs.

Edit - oh - and I did some keyword stuffing on baseball issues so this page would rank highly in MSN for baseball hats...
    Singer/Songwriter/SEO Guy | Indigo Cowboy Band

Going back to my example, VG. the first h2 was "Baltimore Oreals" and probably has an image of a Baltimore Oreals hat. For all of the images, would it not make sense to use an alt tag like "Baltimore Oreals Baseball Cap". If the page has all the teams on it, that is putting the word "baseball cap" on the page an awful lot, but it does in fact make sense as you are describing the image?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I assume you mean adding "Baltimore Orioles Baseball Cap" in the alt attributes of just the images that are of Oriole caps and not on every team. If so then sure why not Alt attributes are meant to describe the image for anyone who can't see that image. You could also do things like:

Baltimore Orioles Home Cap
    Orioles Baseball Cap: Road

and mix it up. I suppose using the exact same alt attribute for each image could look like an attempt to spam search results. Is it natural? In some respects yes and in others no. Maybe if the page also has a page title and page headings and anchor text links all optimized for the exact same phrase it would appear highly unnatural.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

What I meant is domain or page, title, and H1 is major Major League Baseball Caps.

The alt tags would be:

Baltimore Orioles baseball cap
    Orioles Baseball Cap
    etc.

Baseball cap would appear in each alt tag, but so would the team.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

He he. Dave (seolman) is right, this page should rank well for baseball hats since baseball hats are mentioned so many times, and anyone looking for baseball hats should certainly find this page. Not only will this rank well for baseball hats, the ads might show baseball hats too.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

We'll have to check in a few days to see how well this page ranks for baseball hats. If it does rank well for baseball hats maybe we should place an ad for baseball hats at the top of the first page of the thread.

Of course most people would probably search for baseball caps so we'll have to see how useful the phrase is.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals