Thread: Thread Fixed: Questions on Fee-Splitting and Insurance for Teaching Qigong

Default Thread Fixed: Questions on Fee-Splitting and Insurance for Teaching Qigong

Sorry about the empty thread last time. Apparently it was a glitch in the forum due to editing a post with links. This one should be ok.

---

Dear Members of Small Business Forum,

Hi. I'm Justin. Nice to meet you all here. I'm totally inexperienced in business, but I'm trying to start teaching Qigong lessons. If you're unfamiliar with Qigong, you can get some information on Wikipedia. I've been practicing about 3 and a half years and have a certificate from my teacher. So far I've just taught my friends and family here and there. My style of Qigong involves slow, gentle motions coordinated with breathing and also incorporates poetry that goes along with the movements.

I'm looking for an exercise studio or gym where I can start to teach group classes. From reading the article: New York Law Journal: Enforcing the Unenforceable Fee-Splitting Agreement (please google, I'm avoiding posting links so the thread works easily this time), I'm not sure whether the law says dividing the income between the studio and me would be illegal or that such a practice is just illegal for licensed professions. I know it is illegal for lawyers, doctors and other medical professionals, as I was told in acupuncture school that it is prohibited. So does that mean I need to rent space from the studio/gym by the hour, or is there some other arrangement I can make? I sometimes have issues with my own health so it would be better if I could avoid paying for the space if I have to take a sick day.

My other question is, how can I find out whether it is necessary to have some sort of insurance to cover my students when I teach Qigong. Although it is a very low-risk activity, I still wish to follow the law and take necessary precautions.

If you can tell me where to find the law stating the answers to these questions it would be very helpful. However, if you just know the answer and don't know where to reference it, I'll try to find that myself.

Thanks so much for providing this forum and any answers you can give.

Justin

EDIT: Forgot to mention, I'm living in New York State and would most likely teach in New York (Rockland County) or New Jersey (Bergen County).

Array

From a brief review of the article it seems to apply to "licensed professionals". Neither you, nor the average gym owners, are licensed professionals...so it seems that this would not apply. However, it still might not be the best way to go - you'd have to see what it would cost to rent vs. how much of a percentage or split that you'd be looking at and decide on that.

I don't know whether insurance is required, but it certainly is available - special liability plans for martial arts instructors at least...not sure about the specific form you teach - so I'd think that it would make sense even if it wasn't mandatory to protect yourself and your business.