Thread: Text Link Advertising

Question Text Link Advertising

Who has had experience with getting paid to put ads on your site? Any info or references would be helpful. Thanks in advance!!

Array

Can you be more specific, what type of information are you looking for?

Based on the post title i will give one piece of advise. Selling links that pass PR juice is against Google's guidelines. So when you sell and ad be sure to use the "NoFollow" tag.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

If you have no experience with text link ads I wouldn't just jump in without learning more. As Neal mentioned search engines (at least Google) frowns on them and sees them as an attempt to manipulate search results. You can add rel="nofollow" to the link though in truth most people wanting to buy a text link will be expecting the nofollow not to be added.

Also before anyone will want to buy a text link your site would generally need to have shown some success in terms of visitors and PR.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

This thread has been moved to Internet Marketing which is a more appropriate category.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

If you are going to do that, I would only accept an article that contains the link that is a well optimized page and both that page and the site the link points to are on theme with your site. Furthermore, I would take a very close look at the site you are linking to for spam pages, cached pages, etc. Make sure its a site google likes and doesn't do anything that google doesn't like.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I think he may be talking about companies like Text Link Ads (who have mysteriously disappeared from Google), Linkworth and others.

My feeling about these type of services is that if your blog has enough traffic to make it worth someone else's while to pay for links, then it is more advantages to just place your own affiliate links and make more money...without the risk of penalization for selling links.

Additionally, as a reader, I hate text link ads. I think it's annoying to be reading an article with little "hover ups" popping up through out it, especially if they are unrelated to the subject, or repetitive.

As a blogger, I have a hard time turning over control of what is displayed on my blog to an outside company, and running the risk of turning off my readers. If my readers are to be sold, I'll be the one that sells to them.

That of course is just my opinion.