Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 1981 News Report about the new Internet Experiement

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Back in the day, I remember my Mom worked as a keypunch operator.

I was around 6-8 so I vaguely remember going to her job on a couple of occasions, but it was a big room full of these big (well, they looked big to me at the time) machines, and each machine had an operator.
    The operator had stacks of these cards with holes punched into them in different patterns. They fed the cards onto the machine one by one, which was basically sending information to a computer which was on another floor.

I now know, that was early programming and storing of information.
    Amazing stuff.

It was only a few years later that my grandfather got a Tandy Computer from Radio Shack.
    A couple of years after that, I was playing Space Invaders on an Atari 2600 after school everyday, and all the kids had those handheld Mattel football games....

...and technology was off and running.

Still remember my Simon. Hard to beleive we were wowed by that as technlogy. It was litterally nothing more than flashing lights.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 07-13-2013 at 07:28 PM.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Still remember my Simon. Hard to beleive we were wowed by that as technlogy. It was litterally nothing more than flashing lights.
    Amazingly, the Simon game is still being sold in toy stores to this day! It just goes to show you, even if it's low tech, if it's a good idea, it's a good idea. Take video games- The graphics may be better, but you'll be hard pressed to find a modern game as fun as the original Super Mario Bros.
    Lorraine Gregory Communications Group - Long Island, NY Marketing Agency

My first year of college I had a programming class that was really frustrating. You would write the program. They would send it out to have punch cards made. They then would send you the punch cards to run through the computer. Any missed character etc and you would get a 'doesn't compile' message from the computer. By the time this whole process happened, you usually wouldn't have time to correct any problems and get the punch cards back. I'm surprised I passed that class. Really frustrating.

By my second year of college we had a computer the size of a small car and it had a terminal you could type your program into. It probably wasn't any more powerful than an Apple II though.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

My mom shared stories of having to punch cards to write programs for a college course. Fortunately I never had to do that. When I was a freshman though I was working on a computer network designed to handle about 7 computers. Unfortunately the school had purchased a lot of new computers that year and we were running about 120 computers on that system. You'd write a single line of code and then save it, because you probably had about 2 minutes before the system would crash, which it did all the time. It was a nightmare.

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield
    Still remember my Simon
    Me too. Good memories. There's an iOS app for Simon, which I downloaded. I played it a few times, but that was enough.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals