Page 59 of 59 FirstFirst ... 9495556575859

Thread: Play the movie game

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Undercurrent => Robert Mitchum => Rachel and the Stranger (1948)

Wow, Robert Mitchum made a lot of movies during the 40's. 40 of them actually, which seems fitting. And in the middle of the decade he served in the military during WWII

Briefly served in the US Army during World War II, with service number 39 744 068, from April 12 to October 11, 1945
    Here's something interesting

Though respectful of Robert De Niro's talent, Mitchum was amused by the young Method actor's habit of remaining in character all day as film studio chief Monroe Stahr during the filming of The Last Tycoon (1976). Mitchum gave De Niro the nickname "Kid Monroe", and made many jokes about him with the older actors on the set like Ray Milland and Dana Andrews.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Rachel and the Stranger - William Holden - The Dark Past (1948)

OK, I have officially forgotten this game for a few days, but, here we go. Many of the movies with Wm Holden had either names I did not recognize, or ones that I know we've used (some recently). I found this one, and if you want to go with a more famous choice, Grandma Walton was in the cast of The Dark Past.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The Dark Past => Lee J. Cobb => Men of Boys Town (1940)

I sure took my time in taking my turn, didn't I? You have a a couple of very big names to choose from in Men of Boys Town. Great movie too. Been awhile since I've seen it.

Lee J. Cobb's career was apparently affected by politics. His most famous role was Willy Loman in the Broadway version of Death of a Salesman. Arthur Miller created the character specifically for him. Then

Arthur Miller offered him the lead role of Eddie Carbone in his Broadway play "A View from the Bridge." While an outsider might think that the politically progressive Miller would be hostile to the actor due to Cobb's friendly testimony before the infamous House Un-American Activities Committee, during which he "named names," Miller thought Cobb would be ideal for the role. Himself a target of the witch hunt for alleged Communists undertaken by the government, Miller believed that Cobb would bring real intensity to Carbone, who informs on his relatives to the immigration service, as he himself had been an informer. Cobb turned down the role, as he believed that to accept it would open him up to retaliation from the reactionary right and jeopardize his career.
    HUAC affected quite a few careers.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Men of Boys Town - Mickey Rooney - National Velvet (1944)

Here's some interesting trivia about Mickey Rooney

With movie appearances stretching from 1926 to 2007, totaling 81 years, his is the longest career in cinema history, surpassing that of Lillian Gish.
    As of 2007, he is the only surviving screen actor to appear in silent films and still continue to act in movies into the 21st century. His film debut was in the movie Not to Be Trusted (1926) in 1926 at the age of four.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

National Velvet - Elizabeth Taylor - Lassie Come Home (1943)

There's a few of the same cast members from both Lassie Come Home and Nat'l Velvet, plus a certain ape character who's already been used recently, but I think there are some good choices in the mix for the next player. I think we may have used Liz Taylor's name not too long ago too, but I went with it anyway because I wasn't sure. It might have only been mentioned and not used. We certainly do that often enough too.

I will say that Mickey Roony has had an amazingly long and interesting career for sure.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Lassie Come Home - Elsa Lanchester - The Secret Garden (1949)

Of course Lanchester is best known for her role as the Bride of Frankenstein. Apparently the role wasn't all that much fun for her.

Indeed, it was no honeymoon for her. For some ten days, Lanchester was wrapped in yards of bandage and covered in heavy makeup. The stand-on-end hairdo was accomplished by combing it over a wire mesh cage. Lanchester was in real agony with her eyes kept taped wide open for long takes - and it showed in her looks of horror. Her monster's screaming and hissing sounds (based on the sounds of Regents Park swans in London) were taped and then run backward to spook-up the effect. She was delightfully melodramatic and picturesque as Wollstonecraft, and her bride would become iconic. Many have considered Bride of Frankenstein (1935) the best of the golden age horror movies.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The Secret Garden => Dean Stockwell => The Boy with Green Hair (1948)

I didn't realize Dean Stockwell was acting in the 40's. Most things I've seen him in have been much later. I couldn't resist green haired punk boy from the 40s either.

Stockwell is an accomplished artist. He creates both digitally enhanced photographs and original collages in the style of his friend and fellow artist, Wallace Berman. He is also a friend of musician Neil Young and designed the album cover art for "American Stars'n'Bars".

He gave Neil Young the inspiration for the title of his 1970 album, "After The Gold Rush".
    I guess Dean Stockwell is multi-talented.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

The Boy with Green Hair - Barbara Hale - And Baby Makes Three (1949)

Barbara Hale is best known, of course, for the Perry Mason movies and television series.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

And Baby Makes Three => Robert Young => The Canterville Ghost (1944)

Father knows best and he told be to choose him. I assume that's Robert Young's most famous role. Then again maybe it's Marcus Welby. I'm not a doctor, but I play one on TV.

This isn't exactly something you hear every day about actors

His movie career consisted of playing characters who were charming, good-looking--and bland. In fact, his screen image was such that he usually never got the girl. Louis B. Mayer would say, "He has no sex appeal," but he had a work ethic that prepared him for every role that he played.
    Of course it does explain his success with at least one television show

In 1949, Robert started a radio show called "Father Knows Best" wherein he played Jim Anderson, an average father with average situations--a role which was tailor-made for him.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

The Canterville Ghost - Charles Laughton - The Girl from Manhattan (1948)

Had to pick Charles Laughton because he was married to Else Lanchester who I used a turn or two ago. I liked the symmetry.