Page 4 of 59 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: Play the movie game

Refugee from the .com
    Array

It's hard to keep track of, and we don't expect perfection, but we are trying to avoid repeating the same actors (or movies) since there are so many that we shouldn't need to. With the pace of the game, it's more challenging, but that is one thing we are striving for.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

We're Not Dressing => Gracie Allen => A Damsel in Distress (1937)

I think I picked Gracie once before and used the same movie when I did. I have this strong sense of deja vu.

Kristine we've just been keeping track in our heads. The game got down to just the two of us which made it easier I think. You never had to scroll back to see all the names since you last posted. It's an unofficial rule, but it was an attempt to make things more challenging.

We were also looking at the other members of the cast to make sure the person after had a good choice.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

A Damsel In Distress - Constance Collier - Stage Door (1937)

O.k., I just wanted to get clear on that. I have been looking at other cast members to ensure that whoever plays next has some choices. I just wasn't aware we were trying not to duplicate.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Stage Door - Lucille Ball - Room Service (1938)

OK, the last time we had this theme, we developed a short sub theme until we had listed all the famous brothers who appeared in Room Service. Keep in mind that some of them only appeared in a few of the movies, and the other three went on to do many more movies together.
    Steve Chittenden

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Room Service - Chico Marx - Animal Crackers (1930)

I was going to try to go with Ann Miller instead of one of the Marx Brothers, but she didn't do enough movies with big names in the '30s. Oh well.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Animal Crackers => Groucho Marx => A Night at the Opera (1935)

I'll go with one of the Marx brothers then and choose Groucho. Say the magic word and win $100.

"One morning I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got into my pajamas I'll never know."

"A child of five could understand this. Fetch me a child of five."

"Those are my principles. If you don't like them I have others."

He may look like an idiot and talk like an idiot but don't let that fool you. He really is an idiot

I'll be in town all week folks.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

A Night at the Opera - Margaret Dumont - Anything Goes (1936)

Vangogh is a comedian!

I just didn't want to choose another Marx Brother. Margaret Dumont was the aristocratic lady in almost all their movies, so I thought she should be recognized.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Anything Goes => Charles Ruggles => Balalaika (1939)

No more Marx brothers movies? But I had so many more jokes to tell.

I went with Charles Ruggles because I liked his name. Only later did I discover he was the narrator of the Aesop's Fables segment on the Bullwinkle cartoon.

I went with Balalaika, because it's the only time I've heard the word outside the Beatles song Back in the U.S.S.R.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Balalaika - George Tobias - The Hunchback of Notre Dame (1939)

George Tobias was not a name I recognized, but I did recognize what he was most famous for. He played Abner Kravitz on Bewitched. There's plenty of cast on Hunchback to choose from and at least one still famous (and living) actress.
    Steve Chittenden

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The Hunchback of Notre Dame => Charles Laughton => Mutiny on the Bounty (1935)

I wouldn't have recognized the name either until you mentioned why I might know it. I took the easy route and went with the hunchback himself and connected to a movie with a rather well known name from the 30s.