Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 57 of 57

Thread: Best bang for my ad dollar

  1. #51
    Registered User
    Array
    Wozcreative's Avatar

    Join Date
    Sep 2012
    Location
    Toronto, On
    Posts
    952

    Default

    Hey dude, the fact IS harold is making money on his funny sounding domain.. you can pick it apart as much as you want.. he's still rolling the $ in, and you'll still be sitting there trying to spend $100/month to market a crummy idea that none of the developers/designers here (with years and years of experience) think will work

    Again.. the fact that you haven't convinced us.. shows you need WAY more than $100/month to push that idea. Good luck!
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

  2. #52
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Is this what your existence on this forum is going to be? Lashing out like a kid at whoever disagrees with you?

    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    You are some piece of work man. I don't know why I am wasting my time with you but what the hell.
    Let me give you a tip. You can't win on this because you are completely uneducated on the issue and lack the ability to learn or discuss anything. So I'm telling you ahead of time, that no matter what you respond with to defend your archaic position about Internet Marketing, I'm going to prove you wrong.

    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    iVenture.ca: "i" stands for Internet, while "Venture" stands for business. So my domain name literally stands for Internet Business.
    Sure, in your mind. But what does that have to do with leasing domains? Or domains in general, which is what your business is? Nothing.

    You're not in the "internet business". You don't build the "internet". You are in the 'premium" or keyword Domain, and Domain leasing business. Technically, you're in Marketing and SEO...so it's no wonder that you are having trouble attracting clients, you don't even know what you are supposed to be.

    So you are using creative marketing to brand 'iVenture" to be synonymous with that. Nothing wrong with that. But apparently it's only stupid if someone else does it....like say to use the word "Apple" which has nothing to do with Computers, and yet they successfully branded it to mean that...which disproves your position.

    Don't even get me started on the "i" thing and trying to capitalize on the familiarity that Apple has created for it. How original. It's not like everyone and their mother didn't jump that bandwagon back in 2001-2007 when all of their "i" products started coming out.
    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    Domains are an essential part of the internet and therefore necessary for doing business online. The extension or TLD portion of my domain is .ca and that is Canada's official domain space. This is the country I live and operate my business in.
    nhab.it: "nhab" is four letters of the alphabet. The extension is .it which is perfect for people from...Italy??? When you combine the second level with the top level it kind of sounds like inhabit.
    inhabit:
    1. to live or dwell in (a place), as people or animals: Small animals inhabited the woods.
    2. to exist or be situated within; dwell in: Weird notions inhabit his mind.
    3. Archaic. to live or dwell, as in a place.
    I don't know what else to say to you, except that hopefully your marketing skills are as impressive as you claim. How else will anyone find you, unless they are searching for an apartment in Florence I guess.
    Yes Copernicus that's WHAT IT'S SUPPOSED TO DO! Give that man a prize he's stumbled over the obvious. It's supposed to sound like "inhabit". It's supposed to be a 4 letter domain. THANK YOU for the affirmation that it is immediately recognizable as that.

    Here's another search engine newsflash for you, MY SITE IS IN ENGLISH. Not Italian. So no, it does not rank in Google.it because it is optimized to rank for ENGLISH search terms and it does just fine for that.

    I knew the risks and hurdles associated with using a ccTLD or "hack" and made the decision that I wanted. You don't need to like it because it has nothing to do with you. You need to worry about handling your own business.

    Have you EVER read ANYTHING about SEO? You sound like you just crawled out of a cave that had caveman carvings of URLs on the walls and decided that the past is where the money is

    So now you want to attack me for what I've named my business? OK, let's go down that road now...

    What does an "Apple" have to do with Computers?
    What does the word "del.icio.us" have to do with Social Bookmarking?
    What does the word "Yahoo" have to do with Search Engine?
    What does the word "Mashable" have to do with Social Media?
    What do the words "Fat Cow" have to do with hosting?
    What do the words "Go Daddy" have to do with domain registration?

    Look around Shawn. It's called "Branding" and "Marketing". You should really look those words up because you have no idea what they mean. Using your logic, "Ben and Jerry's" should be called "Ice Cream made by 2 guys from Vermont" and every resturant would be named "food place" and they would sit back and wait for people to search for that to get business.

    Many, MANY companies around the world use ".it" to mean "Information, or Internet Technology", or simply as the noun "it" or to complete the spelling of a word or hack that ends in "it".

    Just like companies use ".TV" (from the country of Tuvalu), to mean Television.
    ".FM" (from the Federated States of Micronesia) to mean Radio or FM Radio station.
    ".AM ( Armenia) Used to spell words, or complete phrases to signify "am" as a verb.
    ".ME" (Montenegro) to mean me personally.
    ".de" (Gemany) to spell words that end in "de".
    ".co" (Columbia) as an alternative to ".com"
    ".dj" (Djibouti) used by Disk Jockeys.

    You ever hear of these companies?
    Instagr.am ( it's original URL and they still own it and it now redirects to instagram.com)
    Hongki.at, (.at is Austria)
    Youtu.be (.be is Belgium)
    Bit.ly (.ly is for Libya, by the way)
    Blip.tv,
    Redd.it. (now owned by Condé Nast Publications)
    Play.it ( CBS Music)
    Dlvr.it
    Fold.it
    Who.is (.is = Iceland)
    Thebea.st (.st is the ccTLD for São Tomé and Príncipe)
    Good.es (.es is Spain)
    mir.aculo.us
    Chir.pn (.pn is Pitcairn Islands)

    There are even local businesses where I live that use ".lv" ( Latvia), to signify "Las Vegas" , as well Los Angeles businesses that use ".la" ( Laos).

    Some other creative names from recent start ups that I copied from an older thread on this subject:

    Noodlecrumbs - Crowd Funding
    Mashery - API Management
    Chute - Photosharing
    Wooga- Gaming
    Tintri - Storage
    Keen - Mobile analytics
    Moasis- Web Ads
    Wajam- Social Search
    BaubleBar- Retail
    Hipmunk - Travel
    iZettle - Mobile Payments
    Vidyo - Video Conferencing

    And the list goes on in the THOUSANDS of American companies that use creative marketing or ccTLD hacks to name and brand their company.

    So you know more about, Branding, Marketing, The Web, and SEO than all of these companies (and every other) that are far more successful than you, and they are all stupid like me because it is THEY who don't get it. Is that what you are sticking with?

    You are really uninformed about what's going on around the web. They are called domain hacks, and when the associated registrars open them up to international registration and ownership, this is how corporate America and companies around the world uses them for branding.

    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    I don't know what else to say to you, except that hopefully your marketing skills are as impressive as you claim.
    Nothing you can say. You are completely out of the loop of where domains and branding have gone in the past few years.

    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    How else will anyone find you, unless they are searching for an apartment in Florence I guess.
    And yet people do. Everyday. Because my pages are optimized to capture specific search queries and I use other methods of generating targeted traffic online and attracting new clients offline.

    Do you know anything about the web and SEO? No one is sitting back waiting for their domain to do all of the work anymore Shawn. It's not the 90's. If you do that, you will fail and people like me and far better than I, will beat you up and down the SERP's.

    I may not be a marketing genius, but you are truly stuck in your own mind. You have no awareness of the world around you, and have decided that if you ignore it, then it doesn't exist. That is no way to be successful in life or in business.

    You literally, and I mean literally, only seem to be capable of thinking INSIDE the box. That's strange for someone who's marketing knowledge is one single page out of the 1990's when "thinking OUTSIDE the box" was the catch phrase of the day.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 06-22-2013 at 07:47 PM.

  3. #53
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    By the way, these domains in your portfolio:

    iPhoneService.biz,
    iPhoneServices.biz
    are trademark infringements. They were available because they are worthless and no one would dare touch them to use for anything.

    Not to mention the fact that no one in their right mind would lease a ".biz" when Go Daddy is practically giving them away at $5.99 a year to register them. They're right next to the .info discount bin.
    You can't even sell a .biz for beer money these days. A one word .biz will barely get you $100 in a sale.

    Also these 2,
    DefenceAttorney.ca,
    DefenceAttorneys.ca
    are misspelled.
    Defense as it pertains to Legal action is spelled "Defense", not "Defence". Google's internal spell check doesn't even make them a viable adsense domain to capture mistypes. They are also worthless.

    I highly doubt anyone would lease misspellings and what is surely a cease and desist order from Apple waiting to happen.

    You would think a domain and marketing professional who is so experienced in the "Internet Business" would know this and would have all of his ducks in a row before trying to launch an attack against someone elses business.

    If I was even remotely interested in your services and strained my eyes ( because the text on that page is FAR too light) to see those domains as your offering of "premium" domains, I'd immediately know that you are running some kind of grift and have no idea what you are talking about.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 06-22-2013 at 10:27 PM.

  4. #54
    Registered Member
    Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post

    DefenceAttorney.ca,
    DefenceAttorneys.ca
    are misspelled.
    Defense as it pertains to Legal action is spelled "Defense", not "Defence". Google's internal spell check doesn't even make them a viable adsense domain to capture mistypes. They are also worthless.

    I highly doubt anyone would lease misspellings and what is surely a cease and desist order from Apple waiting to happen.

    You would think a domain and marketing professional who is so experienced in the "Internet Business" would know this and would have all of his ducks in a row before trying to launch an attack against someone elses business.
    defence - Wiktionary

  5. #55
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    So you are proposing that a business brand and market an unrecognized, uncommon, alternative spelling to represent their business, because the actual, most used spelling is not available?

    You're actually suggesting that a little creativity is the way to go here?
    You're saying that an attorney could make that spelling synonymous with "defense" and rise in SERP's and attract traffic?

    But doesn't that go against your entire position on internet marketing?
    All of those well thought out points that YOU JUST made about how people who do that don't know what they are doing?

    I'm confused.
    Which is it?

    By the way, that's ridiculously self serving. No attorney wants a URL with "defence" in it. And you know it.
    But nice try.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 06-23-2013 at 11:57 AM.

  6. #56
    Registered Member
    Array
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Posts
    30

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    So you are proposing that a business brand and market an unrecognized, uncommon, alternative spelling to represent their business, because the actual, most used spelling is not available?

    You're actually suggesting that a little creativity is the way to go here?
    You're saying that an attorney could make that spelling synonymous with "defense" and rise in SERP's and attract traffic?

    But doesn't that go against your entire position on internet marketing?
    All of those well thought out points that YOU JUST made about how people who do that don't know what they are doing?

    I'm confused.
    Which is it?

    By the way, that's ridiculously self serving. No attorney wants a URL with "defence" in it. And you know it.
    But nice try.
    What I am suggesting is that if the universe centred around you like you believe it does, then yes, "defence" would be misspelled. But because the world consists of more than just you, your two friends and google's spell check, there is more than one way to spell some words and "defence" just happens to be one of them. Canadians, as well as many other countries around the world do not spell this and many other words the same way that you do in America. Why would a Canadian attorney misspell their domain name because you HAROLD spell it differently in a completely different country than the one he/she does business in?

    So you see how your arrogance has you convinced that you are far more intelligent than you truly are (no of course you don't, that would require some humility). This is the single cause of our present argument and likely many other confrontations you have experienced throughout your life.
    I really have no desire to continue this nonsense but refuse to allow you to spread misinformation about my business and the domain industry. You and your friends here obviously benefit financially from this misinformation you are spreading on a forum which just happens to have the same keyword characteristics I offer my clients.

    Let me say one other thing, do not confuse my posts here with any desire to educate you. Although that is obviously needed, I could care less if you ever evolve or mature. My responses to you are for those that may happen upon this thread and could possibly be mislead by your idiocy.

    Have a great day Harold Mansfield.

  7. #57
    Web Consultant
    Array
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Las Vegas
    Posts
    9,856
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    What I am suggesting is that if the universe centred around you like you believe it does, then yes, "defence" would be misspelled. But because the world consists of more than just you, your two friends and google's spell check, there is more than one way to spell some words and "defence" just happens to be one of them. Canadians, as well as many other countries around the world do not spell this and many other words the same way that you do in America. Why would a Canadian attorney misspell their domain name because you HAROLD spell it differently in a completely different country than the one he/she does business in?
    OK, I'm willing to accept that. I typed in "defence attorney" in Google.ca and did indeed find a Canadian Attorney that spelled it "defence". Although, defense was still the most popular spelling.

    What kind of defence do you have on the iPhone trademark violation?

    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    So you see how your arrogance has you convinced that you are far more intelligent than you truly are (no of course you don't, that would require some humility). This is the single cause of our present argument and likely many other confrontations you have experienced throughout your life.
    I really have no desire to continue this nonsense but refuse to allow you to spread misinformation about my business and the domain industry. You and your friends here obviously benefit financially from this misinformation you are spreading on a forum which just happens to have the same keyword characteristics I offer my clients.
    So now it's everyone else who is crazy, and no one here knows what they are talking about?
    I see.
    Quote Originally Posted by lionize View Post
    Let me say one other thing, do not confuse my posts here with any desire to educate you. Although that is obviously needed, I could care less if you ever evolve or mature. My responses to you are for those that may happen upon this thread and could possibly be mislead by your idiocy.

    Have a great day Harold Mansfield.
    Sorry, got confused by your comment about "educating me on what a premium domain is".

    I think you are the one that has received the education here. Mainly, don't come on a business forum and start insulting other people's businesses because they don't agree with you. You're going to lose that battle every time.

    When this thread started, I was generally offering advice to help you with what you asked for help with. You are the one that started acting like a 5 year old and telling me how stupid I was when you didn't hear the answers that you wanted to hear.

    My advice to you is that you start practicing what you preach on your own website and not get so "defencive" when confronted with the reality that you don't have all of the answers, have much to learn, and that there is more than one way to do things.

    With all the hype surrounding social media, it is clear that we are not like other internet based companies. You won't find us on some other website for the single purpose of self-promotion or posting comments simply because everyone is doing it.


    When I made the decision to start a company, I did so with the conviction that I would conduct my business with integrity. Unlike conventional companies, we do not operate our business like we are participating in a competition. Instead, we choose to focus our time and energy on the satisfaction of our client. We believe that seeking cooperative partnerships with others is far more productive and beneficial for our clientele than fearing our competitors.
    It should be obvious to you by now that anyone with a little bit of current Marketing and SEO knowledge is going to question you. You'd better prepare yourself to answer to that in a more professional manner. If you can't stick up for your business model without being insulting, then maybe it's time to re-evaluate your business model.

    We all have to keep up with changes in technology, competition, and new ways to do things to keep our businesses relevant and profitable.

    The only people that I have ever heard/read talk about how great domain leasing is, are people who own domains and are trying to survive because PPC, typos and parking is dead. If you listen to nothing but other domainers, they'll have you believing that the world can't survive without them and every domain that isn't theirs is a huge mistake.

    Domainers have been talking like this for well over a decade. And yet, businesses continue to survive online, and thrive every year in spite of their apocalyptic predictions that all marketing is dead, Social Media is a fad, and only people with "category.com" will survive online. They are bitter because Yahoo and Google busted thier arbitrage and fake traffic scams, so now they are sitting on these portfolios that no one is buying, so naturally anyone who doesn't buy or lease a domain from them is stupid.

    The problem with that is that there are only a handful of "category.com"s (or .ca's or whichever TLD and ccTLD), and there are more domainers trying to make a living from them, than exist. So that means most of you have garbage and incoherent words and phrases forced together to try and pass off as viable. If you stare at almost any domain long enough, you'll start talking your self into little perfect scenarios that make them valuable in your own mind.

    I know the leasing pitch: "If the business doesn't work out, then you don't have the expense of owning the domain". That's all bull and you know it. The "expense" of owning a .com domain is $12.99 a year. If it's a keyword or premium domain and is any good and you own it, it's an asset not a liability.

    The business has turned into a bunch of grifters and you're trying to sell Small Businesses on something that makes absolutely no sense for them. Hence why I tried to suggest that maybe you target the specific businesses that it does make sense for....and that's when this thread fell apart. You didn't want to hear that.

    Running a leasing scheme and walking around with the attitude of "Who wouldn't want one of my far superior domains, over their own crappy domains" makes you sound just like one of those pissed off domainers that never learned how to do anything else on the web, and now think we're all stupid for doing what businesses have done for years. Marketing.

    What makes me so smart? Like I told you, I used to be one. And when all you surround yourself with is Domains, and Domain "gurus", you start beleiving all of that garbage. But once you get out into the real world and actually start talking to business owners instead of at them, and actually start learning more about online Marketing, your understanding of the web business broadens and you realize that there can be more to it than that. And that no one is sitting around waiting and hoping for you to come along and drop the perfect domain in thier lap.

    A lof of the domain argument is still true, but it's been bastardized with so much BS that Domainers don't even realize that they are thier own demize. All of these schemes and the amount of over priced domains on the market, has caused marketers to compensate in other ways, get back to basics, and avoid dealing with them all together.

    Instead of lashing out at me for pointing that out, you need to be trying to find a way to adjust that will make your business relevant in 2013.

    No one has all of the answers. But most of us around here are smart enough to know that. It's why we are here. Not to try and steam roll everyone that our way is the only way and everyone else is dumb for not realizing that. You cannot afford to ignore the reality of where the web is, where your business model is, it's perception in the business world, and what is important to businesses these days.

    If you don't grow up and get that through your head, you are in for some serious hardships in business and in life and are going to waste a lot of time and money. I wouldn't know so much about it if I hadn't already been through it back in the days when I had the same little piss ant attitude that you have whenever someone challenged or disagreed with me, and I thought all of my not so well thought out ideas were million dollar ventures ( no pun intended).

    You got off easy here. I'm actually one of the nice guys, and we really all are here to talk business, exchange ideas and help people. On our own time. For free. So you were never going to get away with those insulting cheap shots. A lesser forum would have just banned you and moved on. But silly me, I love a vigorous discussion of the issues, especially when the other person doesn't do their homework and thinks they are going to BS their way through it.

    Consider it a lesson learned. Welcome to the real world Shawn Clarkson.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 06-25-2013 at 12:02 PM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •