Thread: One Person S-corp & Workers Compensation?

Default One Person S-corp & Workers Compensation?

Hi Everyone,

I am a life coach and was interested in incorporating my future business in Nevada (I'm in FL). I was wondering since I would be the only person in the corporation, filling all the positions of directors and officers, would I be able to elect to reject coverage for worker's compensation?

If not, does anyone know of any low-cost companies for someone just starting out? I'm working on a shoestring budget and want to incorporate to protect myself since life coaching may be considered consulting. I would be mostly working from home for coaching sessions and selling items online and may conduct seminars or do speaking engagements.

The reason for incorporating in NV is that I anticipate relocating soon.

Default Update: S-corp, WC

Just wanted to update my previous post. I just contacted NV Dept. of Business & Industry, they stated that I would not need Worker's Comp insurance since I'm the only person in the company and based on the type of business.

Did they say whether you'd be covered by your personal health, home and auto insurance policies? That may be why they said you don't need workers comp.
    Access Communications
    Digital Marketing, Content Creation and Web Development
    Winner, MarCom Gold Award 2012

Array

There may also be paperwork that you would need to file to request the waiver.