Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Selling Rights To Photographs

Array

Alrighty, looked into the websites and here is what I found: Dreamstime requires a waiting period for photo submissions to be accepted to their website (127 hours is my wait time), iStockPhoto requires a copy of gov't issued identification (but they seem really legit) and Flickr seems really neat, so I started uploading another set of photos there.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Now you'll have to keep us updated about how each does as far as bringing in some money and helping market your images and you.

With Flickr don't forget to take advantage of some of the social aspects of the site. Connect with some of the other people who's images you like.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Default another possibility

Perhaps you've seen this but if not it's worth checking out. My daughter is a graphics designer / illustrator and has sold at least one picture that I know of on this site and got a really nice check in the mail. deviantART: where ART meets application!

maybe a few more options that some of the others I don't know.

Best of luck with your search.

Regards,

Gregg

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Oh yeah I forgot about Deviant Art. Very popular site with lots of submitted images. Some free and some pay I believe.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

I'll definitely keep everyone updated. And yes DeviantArt is amazing, I still have an account with them but never sold anything, although I did post up some free stock for others to use and had over 1,000 combined downloads for it. Fun stuff there.

Two other sites similar to istockphoto are Royalty Free Stock Photos at Fotolia.com and STOCKXPERT - Royalty free stock photography community. I've used both. On a couple of occasions, I found the same images on all 3 sites.

stockxpert.com is the paid counterpart of the free image site stock.xchng - the leading free stock photography site.
    Access Communications
    Digital Marketing, Content Creation and Web Development
    Winner, MarCom Gold Award 2012

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Vangogh you're right, Istockphoto isn't really about getting noticed as a photographer. I don't remember any of the names of the people who took the photos we use. I probably didn't even notice them. I was more interested in the pictures.

I do know that people do make money selling on that site though.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Well if they're making money on the site it's certainly worthwhile. I had thought of trying some to pick up some extra money, but never explored it. I'm always taking pictures and usually looking for things I think would look good online or in print.

Array

It's very tough to make money as a photographer. We work with several and it's a hand to mouth existence for most. But some other creative ways to think about promoting your work and making a little extra income might be:

• have a site that promotes your photos and push people to the site(s) they can download your images - that way you have a little more control over the marketing side than hoping someone finds you on iStock
    • Offer some cool eCards on line, and possibly some printed post cards in local shops in your area - your name on the cards acts as advertising for you as a photographer
    • offer as much free photo work as you can to local charities - your credits displayed on their sites and brochures carries a lot of weight and it's satisfying work too
    • enter as many photo contests as possible (win or lose) - photography just like any art is subjective - someone is going to like your work and will want some of your photos for their project
    Last edited by seolman; 01-15-2009 at 11:01 PM. Reason: cuz i kaint spelz vury gud
    Singer/Songwriter/SEO Guy | Indigo Cowboy Band

Array

Seolman, never would have thought about offering services to charities, thanks a bunch, as well as to all those who have given me suggestions. I'm going to check out some places in town and see if they need any work done, thanks again!