Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How do you reinvest in your business?

Array

I don't really know all the fine accounting details of it, however i do know there needs to be separation in some respects, dependent upon your business structure.

I operate as a sole trader in other words i am my business, i have a trading name that is registered as a business name and i use Joel Brown T/AS Orion Networks. My business tax registration number is in my personal name and applies to the business name registered in my name. While i mix the money in the bank and and spend for both business and personal reasons from the account. At the end of the day i maintain financial records for both. I have MYOB Accounting which tracks all of the business transactions, and all the paperwork is separate, and i have little personal wise that has records needed.

Because of the business structure i have available to me the money is effectively my personal money anyway, even though it was income from business activities. If this makes sense.

On the other hand if i was operating a company, then i would need to look at maintaining records in the same way, however the actual cash and accounts would need to be maintained separate to my personal accounts. This is because the money earned by the company is actually the companies money and while i may own the company and it's assets without accounting for it leaving the company it needs to remain there.

Partially i think this is due to how a company is taxed, however as i said i am unsure of the exact little details of what or why.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

That's how I'm set up too so while I do keep separate records I think it's ok if the business and personal accounts mix. The key is keeping the records separate.

I think with corporations you do need to be more careful or you can lose certain protections. I think it needs to be clear that in one case you're acting as you the person and in another case you're acting as an officer of the corporation. You personally don't get the corporate protection, which is why the distinction is important to make clear.

And again I'm going on memory here of things I read a few years back. I'm not 100% sure of the above, but I do feel confident what I'm saying is right.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I believe one of the important distinctions also comes if you are operating as a company or under any other name then your own, you do need to maintain another bank account to deposit cheques made out to that business name or company.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels