Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Morality Question for Internet Marketers

Array

Steve I'm not sure if price leveling will happen or not. Many of these pharma companies make enormous profits gouging US insurance companies and consumers. If they raised prices offshore, sales would plummet because quite simply the local markets would not be able to afford their product.

Most of it is overcharging in the name of "research" etc. Many of these pills cost $0.25 to make and they charge $5.00 each retail. There are so many pills now doing the same job from a clinical perspective it's almost boring. How many pills are out there to reduce pain, fever, blood pressure, muscle aches, cholesterol etc. and yet the research for similar medication goes on. It's a huge market! Get one patent on a slightly different synthetic molecule that works similarly to Ibuprofin and POW you have a percentage of a huge market. It may cost you $30 million to develop the product and get it to final FDA approval, but in 2-3 years you can easily recoup that money plus the cost of getting it to market. Your patent lasts much longer. Drug companies make Billions on a single successful product.

I'm waiting to see how many billions are spent fighting the reformation of the health care system.
    Singer/Songwriter/SEO Guy | Indigo Cowboy Band

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm sure you're right about the price leveling not happening. Drug companies will look to make as much as they can and if that means charging more in one place they will. I know the price compared to the cost seems ridiculous, but I'm sure things like lawsuits are factored into things.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

You are right Steve. I hadn't really considered the "risk" factors that must go into the US market side of things. Lot more lawyer issues to consider on this side that would justify a higher price.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

We are a sue first ask questions later society. I think the legal stuff is one of the main reasons for the high medical costs here. All it takes is one or two lawsuits going against a company.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Sad but true...hopefully that will be addressed too some day.

I can't speak for Costa Rica, but in most of Central America the monthly wage is $100 to $200 and the staples such as food or gas are more expensive, frequently do to distribution problems, but also do to monopoly's. Double the price for gas and food and $200 per month. It's a disaster waiting to happen.

Dave, is Simon in Costa Rica? They have really monopolized the market en El Savador and I believe in Guatemala as well. Both banking and retail.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    Dave, is Simon in Costa Rica? They have really monopolized the market en El Savador and I believe in Guatemala as well. Both banking and retail.
    Simon is not here. But McDonalds, Pizza Hut, WalMart, KFC, Fridays, Taco Bell and others are all doing well.

Costa Rica is the wealthiest of Central American countries with a higher literacy rate than the US. They abolished the army in 1949 and put all that money onto education and building up the health care system so they are much more advanced than most other Latin American countries. There are over 100,000 retired Canadians here and I don't know how many Americans. Tiger Woods, Barbara Streisand and Mel Gibson all have vacation homes here in the northern Pacific region. It's become the new Hawaii.