Thread: The Bill Benson Introduction

Default The Bill Benson Introduction

I think this is the first time I actually posted in an introductions thread??

Anyway, a brief background.

I received a BS in Electronics engineering in 1980. That makes me old. I spent 10 year as a domestic salesman selling telecom switching equipment (high dollar sort of stuff - a deal was $1M or more) on the eastern seaboard of the US. I then spent 10 years selling the same type of equipment in Latin America. I'm now 95% bilingual - hard to be truly bilingual if you didn't grow up with it.

End of 1999 was the dot com crash for me. I found myself stranded living in a foreign country and no income or career. The way business was done was being changed by the internet, market saturation, and other factors. I was middle aged, no career (other than generic sales), and in a job recession.

In the beginning of 2000 I took a job with a company that primarily sold over the internet. They did and still do very well and effectively only sell via the internet. I didn't fit in, but I could see that the internet was one of the avenues into the future. I only lasted 3 months at that job.

So I bought some books, talked my way into a job with an ex boss as a web designer, and have been doing web stuff ever since.

Today I only write websites for myself. I don't design for others. I sell b2b high dollar products via web sites I have written. I'm good (not great) at most aspects of web design and marketing. I stink at the artistic side.

So dat's my story.

Oh, and if anyone wants travel advice in Latin America or the Caribbean - let me know. I've been everywhere:

Best romantic spot: Bonaire
    Best Deal (definately 3rd world but I like it): Dominican Republic
    Hate: Jamaica (and one of my best friends is Jamaican)
    Central America: It's beautiful and I lived there for year but its to dangerous now.
    South America is a different world:
    Argentina: Expinsive and a Latin New York IMO
    Chile: First world country that mimics California
    Peru: Interesting place. A lot to do.
    etc.

OK. thats it for tonight

Array

Thanks for the insights, Bill, and good to "see" you again.

Paul

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Bill, I'm glad you were able to log in and finally join us successfully. Welcome to the group. We're growing a great community that is becoming even better than the old SBF. I'm going to stop saying this soon I hope, I'm just thrilled that so many of the old gang are joining us here to create what we lost due to mismanagement at our old gathering place.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome Bill. About time you showed up. We've been waiting you know. Sorry about the issues registering, but glad you're finally able to get in.

I think we just learned more about you in this one thread than we have in all the time we've been chatting with you. Quite a story too. Must have some very interesting stories to tell about your time abroad.

Glad you finally were able to get in. Sorry again.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Hi Bill,
    Welcome to SBF!
    CoachMorse.com (coaching website)
    Road to the Ironman (youtube channel)
    Follow me on Twitter