Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: trade mark and someone stealing your website name

Array

i checked the local builder associations....he's not a member....so i cant go after him that way

called one of my suppliers/friend......he knows of him...says this issue doesnt surprise him at all....he may have had this issue before.....the supplier said i should copy his name and add 'services' at the end of it!! to give him a taste of his own medicine

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    i checked the local builder associations....he's not a member....so i cant go after him that way
    Check the licensing board. He has a contractor's license. There has to be something in the rules about falsely representing yourself or hiding your identity.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Harold Mansfield View Post
    Check the licensing board. He has a contractor's license. There has to be something in the rules about falsely representing yourself or hiding your identity.
    The website clearly states their contractor and master plumbing license, so its not like he is intentionally hiding.

I do find it interesting that the main phone # displayed on the similar domain name is different from any phone number displayed on their regular site...so they may be trying to guage how much business they are getting from this similar domain to see if its worthwhile or not

Array

grabbing them up will be part of my new website talks today with the web developer
    Let me know how it goes...if needed I could always grab them for you and point them to your website.

Additionally, you may want to consider grabbing the variations
    City-Service . xxx
    City-ServiceLLC . xxx
    City-ServiceINC . xxx
    cityservicellc . xxx
    cityserviceinc . xxx

Granted, all the variations could cost you a couple hundred a year...but it avoids anyone using your name to get business and could avoid a costly lawsuit.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    The website clearly states their contractor and master plumbing license, so its not like he is intentionally hiding.

I do find it interesting that the main phone # displayed on the similar domain name is different from any phone number displayed on their regular site...so they may be trying to guage how much business they are getting from this similar domain to see if its worthwhile or not

they have 3 phone #'s on their regular website...the 3rd one matches the one on the 'bad' version of their website.....at one time they had all the cities w/ the word plumbing after it.....now i notice most of them are gone.....they also use that strategy with the phone book....under the 'city' section they list their company under each city....its definately their strategy....ive tried a bit of it once w/ very poor results......it appears they have given up some of it...just not the part that relates to ME

State of WI law says all advertising MUST include the Master Plumber license.....so thats why they have it on their website....they ARE intentionally hiding who they actually are....if my lawsuit threat letter doesnt work i will call the State of WI to discuss the issue.........unless they have a DBA i think i can win

Array

Quote Originally Posted by MyITGuy View Post
    Let me know how it goes...if needed I could always grab them for you and point them to your website.

Additionally, you may want to consider grabbing the variations
    City-Service . xxx
    City-ServiceLLC . xxx
    City-ServiceINC . xxx
    cityservicellc . xxx
    cityserviceinc . xxx

Granted, all the variations could cost you a couple hundred a year...but it avoids anyone using your name to get business and could avoid a costly lawsuit.
    its one of those things where if someone wants to use it they will find a way...id have to protect myself from 100 variations......they could throw ANY word after my company name......its a matter of right and wrong here....im willing to spend $5k if need be....just so it costs them $5k to protect it in return

Array

the other plumber finally called me today

basically said i have no legal case....and that 'someday' he will add his real name to the bottom of the web page

he admitts he has had several companies threaten legal action against his practices....and doesnt want to pay $1,000 to change all his different websites right now, but when it gets updates 'someday' he will add his name 'somewhere'

so i called a lawyer....he is looking into it all....legal letter $300 + i may have a case with it being a Cyber Squatter....

to file a complaint===$1000-$2000 and that means the other plumber would have to spend similar amounts to fight it.....i cant see him doing so

im waiting to hear back from the lawyer to see if i should proceed

Array

the other plumber finally called me today

basically said i have no legal case....and that 'someday' he will add his real name to the bottom of the web page

he admitts he has had several companies threaten legal action against his practices....and doesnt want to pay $1,000 to change all his different websites right now, but when it gets updates 'someday' he will add his name 'somewhere'

so i called a lawyer....he is looking into it all....legal letter $300 + i may have a case with it being a Cyber Squatter....

to file a complaint===$1000-$2000 and that means the other plumber would have to spend similar amounts to fight it.....i cant see him doing so

im waiting to hear back from the lawyer to see if i should proceed
    The C&D Letter from an attorney sometimes does the trick. If he can't spend $1,000 or so to update his websites to include the name, then he likely isn't going to pay hundreds of dollars an hour to defend it (Some attorneys I've spoken with have a minimum of $5K to work the case before it goes to court).

I personally took on one of the top rated intellectual property attorneys here in FL, and after two weeks of going back and forth the other company eventually changed their name and dropped the domains.

Array

my issue is if i pay $1000-2000 to start the legal process what stops him from fixing the website and then creating a NEW one under a slightly different name? maybe costing me $1000-2000 again?

this guy is a POS.....when multiple companies are threatening him over his websites its obvious his business is based upon stealing a tiny bit from everyone else...instead of making his own brand

i got somewhat angry with him today.....it was like talking to a wall.....he BS'd me about a few things ..i called him out on all of them....i dont know why he called me....all it did was make me more determined

he was trying to make friends with me.....telling me that we met once ( i dont remember it)....then telling me he has sent me 12-15 customers (never got 1)...then promising me MORE free work in the future........if he has so much work then why steal from other plumbers websites?....truth? he's struggling and despirate

Array

Default You CAN get them on a legality.

Report them to BBB. They are showing a BBB logo without the link. I think that is a legal infringement. Get the BBB to chase them.