Thread: US Companies with Manufacturing Capabilities in Mexico?

Default US Companies with Manufacturing Capabilities in Mexico?

Hi there. I'm an inventor looking for a company to do a production run of my new kitchen device. It's stainless steel and needs to fabricated, spun, or stamped by the 1000s.

I've searched over 100 US companies, and none has been able to meet the price I need, so I'm looking for a list of US companies that have manufacturing capabilities in Mexico. I'm a one man show for now, so I don't want to have to work only with a Mexican firm directly and have to deal with the international issues involved. But I would like to find a firm with roots and admin here and factories south of the border.

Does anyone know where I could come across a list of such companies? I've found two so far, but only by accident. Would love a centralized list from which to draw.

So far I have feelers out at the US Chamber in Mexico (very slow to get back) and a couple of other Small Biz development outfits. But nothing hard yet.

Any help/leads would be *greatly* appreciated. Please post or email me directly if you have any thoughts.

Much obliged!
    Dave

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum Dave. I wish I could point you toward some lists, but I guarantee you would know more about how to find them than I would. I did want to at least reply to your thread though, to help keep it more active in the hopes that someone who might be able to point you to the list you're looking for will see it.

Out of curiosity is there a way to get a better price from the US manufactures you've approached. I'm wondering if once you've worked with them a few times they might come down. Is it possible that a larger order would result in a better price? Just some thoughts in case you have trouble finding a company. Maybe there's a way to get a reduced price at a later date. I realize that doesn't help now and maybe there's no way you could take the temporary loss, but maybe you could find a way to make it work with some of the manufacturers you've found if you can make this a longer term proposition.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Hi VanGogh. Thanks for your friendly response.

I have talked to about 100 US companies, and there are about 3-5 that are almost in range (though one has an impossibly long lead time). I may try to negotiate down a bit and do at least one batch of 1500 units here at a lower margin for now. It would be good to have a backup supplier in any case to head off any unforeseeable hangups or slow downs. But the good prices were already at quantities close to 5000, so it's tight. And unfortunately, I can't wait til later to begin.

That said, I think I found what I'm looking for in a late search tonight, and I'll find out in the morning if these lists can be a help or not. Hoping so. . . It's time to move forward!

Thanks again for the support, and if anyone else has suggestions, experiences, or even references, then I would be most grateful. Thank you all!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'll keep my fingers crossed that you did find what you were looking for. Things like that have happened to me where I seem to have exhausted every lead and then someone get luck with a search that leads me to others.

That's what I was thinking with the lower margins. I realize it's not what you'd like, but I was thinking maybe a couple of low margin runs could get you a lower price once the manufacturer has gotten to know you a little and sees you pay on time, etc. I figured they might mark up prices some for new customers. I'll also keep my fingers crossed that you do very well and are soon looking to put in orders for 5,000.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals