Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How big are you on footers? Does it make the site?

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Default How big are you on footers? Does it make the site?

I love footers. Over the last 3 years or so, footers have really become an important part of some websites, and where people look for additional information, quick links and even a few creative surprises.

For some reason when I go to a site with a nice footer, it gives me an increased feeling of credibility. Like they really put some thought into the entire website. It's like walking into your hotel room and not realizing it's a suite and being pleasently suprised when you discover the extra space.

I try to get my clients to let me enhance their footers but most look at it as wasted space, don't think anyone looks at them and want to cram everything above the fold with a ton of drop down menus...which I think are way overused these days.

Is this just a personal preference of mine or do you guys think the footer is one of the most important parts of the website like I do?
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-20-2013 at 04:38 PM.

Array

Your personal preference. Above the fold is still golden space. Everything else may or may not be seen at all, so it has to be lower priority. People don't hunt around a web site looking for some surprise you've stuck in a footer, just not the way people -- especially busy people looking for certain information -- are wired.
    Low-Cost Total Compensation Statements - No minimums, no setup costs.
    Going to Disney World for Vacation? Rent One Of Our Vacation Homes

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Scrolling down the home page isn't exactly "hunting". It's looking at the page. Searching 10 different drop down menus for what you are looking for? THAT'S hunting.

Surely there is a reason that so many websites take the time in that space. I know I fully expect to see contact info in the footer. I'm surprised when I don't.

I guess my point on the whole matter is that it's nice when you see the attention to detail, and functionally it gives you space for additional information that you don't have to hide or overwhelm the menu with and that there's more than one kind of user. Everyone is not in a huge hurry and looking for information quickly. Expecially when people are trying to determine if they want to buy something or do business with you specifically and have come to your website for that purpose...they look at EVERYTHING in order to determine your credibility and if you have what they need.

But I can accept that some people may not notice. But that doesn't mean it's any less important or any lower priority. That's true of the web. No one notices anything unless it's not there or doesn't look right....then they notice.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-20-2013 at 10:27 PM.

I think its a case of you expect to see certain info in certain places. I see no reason a footer can't have redundant information such as contact us info. Also take a site like godaddy. I didn't check before posting this but I believe they have a ton of resource links in the footer such as whois. Now whois isn't something that's going to generate godaddy money, but it is a resource that brings people to their site. I know its there so if I want whois I go there.

The blogging format may have changed the way people look for footers. When everything was paginated people may have been more inclined to go to the footer for appropriate info than today??

So, I'm not sure it has the importance it once had but its so easy to add as an include to all pages, so why not make a good one?

Registered Member
    Array

Now that you mention it the footer does have a big impact on web site perception. I even just went to look at a few sites before answering this post.
    The right footer can make the footer look modern and the wrong footer can make the site look out of date.

Array

Usually I will use the footer for contact info, social media info or any quick small things I may need to know about the company. It is essential I think. Footer is usually where you will find clues as to the credibility of the company.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing

Footers on certain websites look good, on some they don't.

I usually don't go to the footer to look for information. And footer thing is definitely being overused in the past few years. Half the websites online have big footers with all the "goodie information" in them.
    Creative Custom Web Design
    Get a FREE preview of how your site will look like. Contact us for more info.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

There are a few things I always expect in the footer, additional navigation to important inner pages, a link to direct contact info, social media links, and if there is an affiliate program, it's almost always linked to from the footer.

I agree this is usually done by sites with a lot of information or that serve multiple functions for various client types. Sometimes you just can't cram everything into the main navigation, nor do you always want to. And putting additional navigation on inside pages only, with no access from the home page is not very user friendly.

What I've seen most is keeping the main nav filled with the most important info for new visitors, and put stuff that returning visitors need in the footer navigation. Of course none of that is written in stone, you can do what you want.

But if you ask me, utilizing the footer is far more attractive than relying on people to go to your sitemap. Most of those are really ugly.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 02-21-2013 at 04:26 PM.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Hmm, haven't really thought about footers in the past, so you've given me some new information to consider. I have seen some sites that utilize the footer space really well. I've also seen many that don't. One of my pet peeves is a copyright date in the footer that isn't current. Hate that. It's a little thing, but I always see an expired copyright date as an indication that the site owners aren't paying attention.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    Hmm, haven't really thought about footers in the past, so you've given me some new information to consider. I have seen some sites that utilize the footer space really well. I've also seen many that don't. One of my pet peeves is a copyright date in the footer that isn't current. Hate that. It's a little thing, but I always see an expired copyright date as an indication that the site owners aren't paying attention.
    It just means the developer was careless and didnt use a PHP code that will have this update regularly on it's own.
    Graphic & Web Design [ View Portfolio ]
    Services: Logo Designs, Stationery, Brochures, Flyers, Booklets, Direct Mail, E-Newsletters, Websites, Store Signage, Packaging & Printing