Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Moved from S-B-F.com...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Thanks for the added info. If you want to share your name feel free. I'm Steve as are quite a few other people here. I'm the original though, since I got to be member #1 for installing the forum software.

If you're ever lost for a solution to a problem just shout out Steve. There are enough of us that one of us will likely hear.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

About the business? Sure thing!

A year or so ago I was already in the business of selling t-shirts, mugs and tote bags. It was doing decently, made enough money for gas every so often which was nice. To some that may sound like I had no goals at the time; I did and still do, I'm just not the ungrateful type and am thankful for what comes my way. Good, bad, big or small. If good things come my way, I do my best to return that kindness and pass it on. If something bad comes my way, I am glad to have learned a lesson and make sure to not mess up again.

Then one day it just came to a head, I was ready to give up. Because of my un-success (No, it's not a real word, I promise) people and family had come to stop believing in me because with all of the time I spent putting that store together and maintaining it they feel I should have been making near millions. It made me feel really low, and worthless to say the least. It was a really low point for me at the time, because aside from work, it felt like nothing was going right and if it could go wrong, it definitely did. So, for a few months I stayed away from the shop and stopped selling altogether. It was a much needed break.

This past summer I slowly got back into the scheme of things, and opened up a new shop. It was a bit odd really...having been through an emotional rollercoaster and weeding out the negative people in my life that only succeeded in bringing me down was a very rough ride...but it opened my eyes a bit. And that is when the ball started rolling. I woke up one morning, made the coffee, fed the kids waffles, sat at my desk in my pajamas and thought to myself, "I am not anyone's scratching post or puppet, I have my own voice and I'm going to use it". After that the inspiration just flew out of my brain, at one point so fast the I couldn't keep up. Floodgates? Maaaaybe. But! I do know this: "Make Noise, Be Heard" is a slogan that even a few of my friends have come to work into their daily lives.

It's about having the guts to express yourself without worry and doing it with a little tact. Tact matters, alot. I am in no way trying to encourage anyone to do something against the law because it's how you are expressing yourself. <--- That will be in the disclaimer.

If you are making noise, you're being heard...but if you're being noisy, you're making people not want to hear you.

It's about stepping out of your own little shadow, even if for a moment, to get something off of your chest for yourself, for someone else, for a group of people in the name of the greater good. That moment can make a huge difference! When it comes down to it, you'll be able to say, "See? I DID that, I said that!"

Music is the theme for the shop because it's a very popular way to express yourself, unwind and dance crazy alone or in large groups.

That is it, at least for right now! As usual questions are always welcome.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think a lot of us have had to go through the process convincing family and friends that what were are doing is real and is work. I know people still see me as someone who doesn't always work since my office is my home. Sometimes I'll tell someone I can't do something because I need to work and they look at me kind of odd. It's just something we all have to go through.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

They look at you odd? Wow...you know, some people need to take a moment to think about what it's like to having a work environment at home. It can get pretty hectic!

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I like your philosophy ShopLady! Everyone needs to find their own voice.

Array

Thanks so much!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The odd looks are from people who don't see working at home as working. Chances are I put more hours into my business each week than they do punching in to their job, but being home based still caries a stigma for some people, I guess.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

For anyone who thinks working at home is not a valid way to make a living, I say, "Enjoy the traffic jams that come with a real job."
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

Agreed to you both! I don't get it either.

Array

Hey, ShopLady, I'm a refugee from SBF.com, too.

Where in S. LA are you? I'm in Ruston.

Is your site down? Link is dead right now.

Paul