Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A Poor Man's Photoshop?

Array

I'm sticking with CS3 and Quark 7 for awhile longer too... maybe by the time I'm ready to upgrade I'll be taking a class on web design and can qualify for the student discounts...
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

The main problem with the student discounted software, is that you are not suppose to use it for commercial purpose, however i am sure that some people do.

As for me i am still using Photoshop 7, as the amount i use compared to the price to purchase does not show the value for me. Maybe soon in the future, i may consider looking into it again.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Refugee from the .com
    Array

PS 7 is a good version. I was on 7 until I upgraded to CS3 and a couple of my computers are still on 7 yet. To be honest, I'm not all that quick to upgrade usually. I typically skip at least one version on most software. If I end up going to CS4, it will be about the first time I upgraded only one version. Going from CorelDRAW 8 to 9 ten years ago is the only other example that comes to mind.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

I think one of the only programs i have upgrade back to back versions is MS Office. Most of the others i have not seen to much need for upgrades as yet. Although if i was turning over enough income in my business i would probably buy some of the software purely because i could and to have some more expenses.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Your goal is to have more expenses?

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Zack, I'm pretty sure Joel was referring to tax write-offs. I suspect a lot of software gets sold for that reason.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

Yes that is right Steve, In Australia, if you operate a company, under the company structure, you pay 36% tax on every dollar profit you business has. So if i had a need for it i would happily spend $5,000-$10,000 on software that i may use as while it would still be an expense it would bring down the tax bill by $1,800-$3,600 for that year. Which is a nice discount on the software.

For me as a sole trader, it makes a little difference but if i earn over over i think at the moment it is about $80,000 in a year, it saves me 48% tax rate, if i can keep taxable income under that mark.

Sorry a little off track, however i do imagine this is a reason why many people decide to buy some of the software that they do.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels