Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Side Project - Conflict of Interest?

Default Side Project - Conflict of Interest?

I own a small delivery company with a partner who is also my best friend (I know, bad idea). I have owned a business in the past and he hasn't but I believed he would be a good asset. It turns out that he is not quite living up to my expectations (in terms of creativity, innovation, initiative) and is more like an employee than an entrepreneur. However, I would like to continue working with him.

At the same time, I've been wanting to develop a software application with the intention of using it in the company for day-to-day operations as well as licensing it to other companies. I feel that my partner would provide absolutely no value towards developing this (I have a technology background and have software development experience). I would like to develop the software as a side project but allow our business to use it for free and I would also benefit from real-world testing by using it in-house.

Is it wrong to want to do this on my own and for my own benefit? Should I keep it in the company so my partner benefits? I don't want to cause problems with my partner and I feel like he would expect that he should have part in it since it is related to our business. How do I handle this?

Array

I think the two things are unrelated and that you should be able to develop and benefit from it on your own.
    Steve B

Banned
    Array

Yes, you should be able to do this legally, but...

But will it create hard feelings with your partner and friend if the product takes off? Is that important to you?

Array

since software and a delivery company are 2 completly different things i dont see where the issue is

start a 2nd company and develop away
    and as far as your partnership goes it sounds doomed to fail....the sooner you end it the better for you AND your partner....sounds like its already bad for you

end your partnership and odds are your friendship....never become a parter with a friend or a relative

Array

Another vote for doing the side project on your own. It isn't part of your business with your partner.

Hey, do you need a partner on this software gig? I'm not really talented in that realm, but I'm good at doing nothing and would love to get paid for it, so I'd make a fantastic business partner.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Another vote for doing it. A business partnership in one thing doesn't mean that you are life partners and he's privy to everything you do outside of it.
    I agree with Huggy that you should completely and legally separate it from your current business and partnership.

Don't use any money (except your own salary of course) , computers, tools or resources from the business. Don't work on it in the shop. Don't have him cover for you while you work on the software in anyway. Never use working on the software as an excuse for not doing something for the business.

Basically, treat it like Fight Club. Don't talk about it.

Array

The main issue is: if you use assets from the partnership to develop the product you are morally and legally obligated to get your partners approval to keep it separate (either by him gifting his part to you or by you paying for the time/assets used).

If you personally cover all costs of the software development out of your own pocket the software should be yours (and separated into a new business) provided you don't have anything in your partnership agreement that prevents you from engaging in other business practices outside the partnership.
    Singer/Songwriter/SEO Guy | Indigo Cowboy Band

Thanks everyone for your feedback. The big thing that's holding me back is that the program I want to develop would be related to our business and I want to use the program in our business (so he would benefit from its features, I would benefit from debugging and getting feedback from real-world use). I guess I will tell him I'm going to do it on the side, with absolutely no resources from our existing operation, and see what he says.

I'll just pile on with agreement to the opinions already given. Take note, though, of Seolman's caution and make sure there are no strings there. Similarly, make sure your work on the side project doesn't reduce the input and effort level you put toward the delivery biz, below that which your partner has a right to rely on.

Best of success with the software development.

Array

I'll add a cynical and practical note all in the same comment.

Since your original partnership (and friendship) is going to end anyway, you may as well do it now so you won't have to worry about this side business issue.
    Steve B