Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Advertising Review - Derby's Pet Fence

Array

I've run the first two several times each in our magazine that is mailed out to 20,000 homes every other month. I had some success with them, but not enough to justify the cost.

The "The Best" ad was run only once in a newspaper style magazine. With Zero phone calls it was hard to justify running it again. Even if I tripled the response, it would still be zero! I don't know if it was a bad ad, a bad periodical, or bad timing - but, it's hard to keep throwing $500 down the tubes.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

If you did get some response with the Magazine ads maybe that means improving the ads will lead to a greater return.

With the newspaper ad it's hard to know what was the cause of no response. However most advice would be you need to run it a few times at least before you can really measure the response.

Hey, maybe you can quadruple your response.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

can you share with me (in pm form) what your ad costs were for the different media. Maybe I can make some suggestions.
    The Ad-Vice Man - Expert Advertising Advice
    www.harborpilotmedia.com,
    www.freeadvertisingadvice.org

Array

Sure- I send you a PM later today or tomorrow.
    Steve B

Just a thought ... what about using some statistics of how many family pets (dogs) are lost each year and how your product can help prevent this tragedy? Maybe use a format similar to a lost dog poster. Pet owners love their own dogs, but also are empathetic to other people and their dogs. This might grab attention and make people think.

Array

That's a great idea. I'll see what I can come up with.
    Steve B

Steve,

I agree about the comments on the rescue dog program - it immediately struck me (a dog owner who ONLY gets a 'hound from the pound').

I have a couple of comments/suggestions:
    - The key benefits (at least to me) are; GUARANTEE, RECHARGEABLE collar and RESCUE DOG program. I would stress them hard. I'm a dog owner and these are all the things that appeal to ME. I would stress them hard (did I say that already!)
    - Training - no mention of if easy/hard to train a dog, this would be a big concern as a dog owner
    - Safety - somebody made a comment on this
    - Price - compare it to the cost of a traditional fence (I would 'guess' most owners are considering both - we did, not sure if this is true for everybody)

Would speak to your past clients and ask them what made them pick you/buy a fence, find the common theme and sell it - BTW you can disguise it as a "we're following up to make sure you are happy" call which should increase the perceived value of your service.

Also took a look at your website and I have one immediate recommendation: I would add some free report or something ("FREE Report on How EASY it is to train your dog on OUR System" or something like that) to get people's email addr's then drip on them to convert to buyers. (PM me and I'll add it for free in exchange for a testominial!)

Good luck

JEM
    NJ Website Design - helping you maximize the PROFIT from your website

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Great suggestions Jem. I'm quite familiar with Steve's product and service so I know for example that the training is likely easier than your concerns and I know the fence and collar are safe. Price? I'm not actually sure how they compare to a traditional fence. But I also know the site and marketing materials probably could do more to highlight the information and make the answers obvious to potential customers.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

Good suggestions. I agree the training is not addressed very well on the website. I can easily make comparisons to traditional fencing. The costs are very favorable (about 10-20 cents on the dollar).

FYI - the training is 7-9 days of two sessions a day for 10 minutes each. I do the first session on day 1 and I come back for the first session on day 3.

Thanks for the review. I'm always willing to add to the website. Honestly, I think I my have too much on there and may need to find some stuff to take away.
    Steve B

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Steve we could do a few basic articles on training your dog. In all honesty it would make a perfect topic for a blog if you want to add one.