Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Thread: Please Review Ad for ESP Home Services

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I think in this case the price was a little unrealistic for Steve. Not suggesting that they always are, but in this case I can understand why he opted for the newspaper box instead.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I've tried three different well designed (in my opinion) pieces with three different compelling offers (again in my opinion) and the results didn't justify the cost. One of the pieces was done in my typical style - one of them was done after I studied a Dan Kenedy book (completely opposite of my normal style). I just don't think it's a good fit for my business - although I will try it again when the economy changes just to be sure.

Re: making compelling offers. At least for my business, this has proven to be completely irrelevant. I've done a lot of print advertsing over the last 4 years. About half the time with a generous offer and half the time with no offer at all. The results are exactly the same. As a matter of fact the majority of the time people responded to the ads with the offers - they never even asked for the discount (or gift). It just came down to timing. If they saw my ad the day they got tired of chasing Fido down the street, then I would get a call.

Back to direct mail. I partnered with a dog trainer on a piece and that one at least covered the cost (since the cost was only 50% since we split everything). But, unfortnately, he never got a single phone call from it so I can't convince him to try again.

So, that's why it's not realistic for me to pay 42 cents for a stamp and 10 cents for an envelope, plus a few more cents for ink and a label - when the results are the same as when I skip all of those costs.

Lately, I've actually been doing a hybrid of direct mail and just putting my rack card in the newspaper box. I started a Pet Services Networking group. I stuff an envelope with 3 or 4 pet related businesses in an envelope (the envelope has a short message on the outside about our network), then we drop the envelopes in the newspaper box. This saves the postage, but hopefully makes it look a bit more credible by being included in a network of other businesses. It's too early to tell you if this is going to be successful or not. At least it spreads the labor.
    Steve B

Banned
    Array

Default I am a graphic designer

From a graphic designer point of view. Not to bad overall... I could modify it and make it look better for you.

Array

Steve, I am in the same business that you have started. Maybe checking out my website will help you. I know I will be looking at yours more closely and would love to talk to you about your successes and not-so-successes. I am here The Maintenance Guys - Home

Array

You have a nice website. Yes, we have a very similar business. I don't mind telling you that I wasn't able to properly market that business so I haven't done much with it yet. I love the business model, but I ran out of money and I have put it on the back burner for a little while.
    Steve B

Overall I think the card is great. Two things I would change.

The line that reads "We not only know what to do, we know how to do it and have the proper tools." should read "We know what to do, we know how to do it and we have the proper tools."

Also, I would ditch the basketball schedule on the reverse. First of all I do not think it fits in with the concept of the card and I don't think it adds value. Second of all I would think that a good portion of your decision makers might be women and a men's basketball schedule probably does nothing for you there.

I get your idea for creating the sense of urgency with the free calendar promo but I think it lacks the motivator to make it a "matter of urgency". I just cant imagine folks running to the phone to make sure they get in line for the free calendar. instead, offer a free radon check or carbon monoxide test or something else that is in line with your serices. Offer that to the first 100 or 50 or whatever. It gets you in the door and gives you a chance to sell additional services.
    Pete - Reflo Ltd - A smart alternative to sippy cups
    www.reflo.net