Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wordpress 2.7

Array

Default Wordpress 2.7

So what does everyone think? To me the dashboard just looks different, I don't see what it improved. Am I missing something, I thought there were going to be some new cool features.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I haven't installed it yet. From the videos and reviews I've seen it does seem like they changed a significant amount. Mostly just making a lot of things easier. I don't know that there's supposed to be a new wow feature. More that the admin interface was redesigned to make things more organized and make routine tasks easier.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Yes there are a few conveniences added into it, there is a lot more going on in the dashboard home page. Some things that used to take 2 or 3 clicks now take one. There is also a quick post box right there, unfortunately you can't access all in one SEO with it though so I don't see myself using it much.

I was just doing a bunch of stuff on one of my sites and the more I use it the more I like it.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Yeah, I think that's what most of the changes were about. I remember when WP came out with version 2.5. At first I didn't care for it, but after a few days of using it I grew to like it more and more. I have a feeling the same will happen now with 2.7. Just a matter of getting used to the new way of doing things.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

I will have to have a look, but i hope it doesn't require a lot of changing to make it work on an existing site. This is the problem that i have had before in upgrading, is that the theme i have and any changes i have made to layout keep disappearing, and i got to go through all the process of changing it again adding adsense back in, and adding google analytics back as well. Does get kind of annoying.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It's possible some plugins won't work, but I would think most themes should be fine. Hard to know for certain until you try. Just backup your WP files and if the upgrade does break your site you can reupload your current files.

I don't use WP, but some posts on other forum's indicate there are some significant security changes that make it worthwhile.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I just upgraded on my development server on my laptop. It took me a few seconds to figure out where everything is, but a few minutes later and I think I'm going to like 2.7. It really does seem like there's quicker access to a lot of things and I actually like how the new interface looks.

Now to test the plugins I use.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I think it is pretty sweet.

@Orion Joel : As for updating, I used to have problems all the time, but now it's pretty painless.

First I use the "Automatic Upgrade" in to keep my plug ins updated (never could get it to work to update the actual wordpress install), so first I make sure all of my plug ins stay up to date.

Then I de-activate them.

Get yourself a fresh download of the latest version of Wordpress, unzip it (we'll come back to it later)

Via FTP, In your current install of Word Press, Delete the "wp-admin" and "wp-includes" folders.

Open your new version of Word Press and "Select All" of the files EXCEPT "wp-content" and "wp-config.php"

Drag and Drop your new files over the old ones.

Double check the "wp-content" from the new installation files for "index.php". Go ahead and drop that into your old "wp-content" folder that you left alone while installing all of the other files.

When it's done, log into the admin screen (follow the instructions to update the database) . re-activate your plug ins, (that have already been updated) and there you are, should be good to go.

Unless the newest version specifically calls for an upgrade of the "config.php" file, you can use the same file with future upgrades.
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 12-22-2008 at 09:40 PM.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've upgraded a few times with the automatic upgrade plugin. Only once did it not do what it was supposed to. I don't mind the manual upgrade though since it's relatively easy to do and only takes a few minutes. The first time you upgrade manually it's a little scary since you have to delete most of the files. but as long as you make backups of everything first it's easy enough to put back if something goes wrong with the upgrade.

I usually don't delete the old files, but rather move them to a temporary folder until I've checked that the upload of the new version is working.