Page 1 of 22 1234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Politics

Default Politics

Does anybody know of a non partisan politics forum that discusses things from a theoretical standpoint rather than an ideological one?

Everybody is biased these days and very few of us are economist and they can't even agree. It would be nice to find a source of accurate or at least intelligent information without the bias.

Array

I can't imagine how a concept like that is even possible. Politics by its very nature is ... well, political. I think the college courses I took on economics were mostly theoretical because they at least attempted to teach both theories for how to grow an economy - but, since we only used one textbook in each class, I'm sure it had a bias.

Good luck and let us know if you can find something.
    Steve B

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Can't offer an answer, but the thread title made me wonder if the new members here would think you're being bold.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Well if you treat a country like a business and run it that way, irrelevant special interest groups, for example, wouldn't become part off the decision making process. Yes there are more ways than one to solve a problem. And like a business, different governments are going to have different requirements. Take the tobacco industry, for example. They try to run their business in the best way they can for their business. So Steve B, bias will always exist. But I think it is possible to remove the "chatter" and un based opinion and distortion of the facts from the discussion.

My brother just got his masters in Theology at 64 y/o. He's Catholic. He didn't get get the degree for any career purpose. He got the degree to have intelligent discussions with his peers.They won't all agree. But they can talk intelligently on a subject without large degree's of bias.

Forums provide a good means of doing this. Some forums manage to congregate experts in their area while turning away the non experts.

You are probably right Steve B, but there has to be something out there that is better than the media!

Array

Good luck to your brother. Not sure if more education will remove the bias in any subject. It may even make it stronger.
    Steve B

Hopefully this goes without saying but LETS KEEP THIS THREAD GENERIC

I'm not an economist. How can I possible make a presidential decision on economic policies and plans. Rather than listen to talk show hosts with sound bites from their economists of choice to make their particular point, I would much rather spend 15 minutes reading educated opinions from two qualified economists with different solutions to the same problem. And I bet they can agree on aspects of solutions.

Guess I'm just an optimist.

Array

If that's the case you will want to take a Macro Economic class or two. There is no quick way to learn economic theory. You may want to read up on John Maynard Keynes to get the theory that believes there is a role for gov't. to help an economy. I forget who the main guy representing a more conservative theory was, but I remember Ronald Reagan often quoted the other guy.

I didn't major in economics, but I took 4 different classes in it and did well. The subject is still open to interpretation and I doubt you'll get a much clearer picture than you already have. I'm sure a consertative and a liberal could sit through the same classes and both be convinced they were right about their opinion all along.

The standard textbook used by many colleges (30 years ago anyway) was written by Paul Samuelson. Not sure if it is still considered a staple or not.
    Steve B

The subject is still open to interpretation and I doubt you'll get a much clearer picture than you already have. I'm sure a consertative and a liberal could sit through the same classes and both be convinced they were right about their opinion all along.
    That's really a sad statement although I suspect its true. There are always multiple solutions to a given problem.

Array

everything and everyone slants their view.....realize this and get your info. from multiple sources....

i think politics has always been there and slanting has always existed.....but i do think our country is moving farther apart politically.....the news has always been biased, your just seeing it appear to be worse just because the 2 sides no longer have anything in common........compromise doesnt happen anymore because it cant...too far apart...and its getting more black and white...less grey....

i for one cant understand the other sides point of view.....i see no room for compromise either....thats why our politics are now 'my way or the high way'...our political parties are no longer competing...they are at war

Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    I'm not an economist. How can I possible make a presidential decision on economic policies and plans.
    Guess I'm just an optimist.
    there's 3.5 years of evidence that all the things tried up to this point arent working...keeping things the same for 4 more years = the same results

thats how i see it....a change 'may' not help things at all, but no change definitely wont help