Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: How to get started in the copywriting industry?

Array

Have you tried pursuing some internships. Sure it's basically slave labor but you'll earn some valuable experience and connections.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

Hey vg, things are going well. It's my best year ever and last year was good. I've been back silently a few times over the past year, but as you can tell, not actively. Knocked out a few spammers here and there and once took out someone abusing the PM. Too bad for him he sent his junk to someone who was able to take him out. Just trying not to totally slack off.

In addition to running the biz, I've intensified sharpening the skills. I thought the web design industry was rapidly changing back in the 90's and 2000's. The last 3-4 years has been a whirlwind. Never gets dull, does it?

Well, back on topic.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Good to hear things are doing well and glad to see you've been more actively recently. I think I did notice you here and there taking out a spammer. The PM spammers aren't the brightest. They tend to send spam with automated tools and don't consider who might be on the receiving end.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Refugee from the .com
    Array

LOL, spammers in general aren't very bright.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

The majority aren't, but some are. Plenty of spam does find its way onto pages across the web. It comes across as a genuine comment, but it really isn't. We do a good job keeping it away from here, but I'm sure a few spam posts still get through here or there.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Laura, I am on online marketer and I see that people in the online word desperately need help with their copy... especially copy that sells. You should sign up for websites like Elance.com and freelancer.com and you will find people who are looking for your talent. On those sites you can bid for the jobs (write up a quick proposal) and with time (and competence) you will build a good reputation and grow your business (you get rated there and build a reputation).

I found a copywriter there and now I work with her on most of my clients. So you can find one-off projects there and hopefully land a company who will refer you their clients but bottom line - the online world lacks GOOD copy writing.

I would also advise to read up on SEO (search engine optimization) on websites like SEOMoz and searchengineland.com - not to become a SEO professional but companies usually favor copywriters who understand SEO basics and how copy should be written to be optimize in the online world.

Array

I am no big writer my self, but I am more and more into digital marketing. To me language is next part (since most writers are naturally strong in Language its the ability to understanding audience and adapting to their likings and preference that is important. Unless a content writer understands and adheres to the interests of his/her potential audience (visitors & customers, whatever), there is little use in developing contents. Beyond that developing skills to craft unique and attractive "call to action" texts are also critical role of a Content writer.
    Consider outsourcing your accounting tasks to an Accounting outsourcing company. This will help you reduce your business costs considerably and free your time for other tasks and promoting your business.

Array

Hello Laura,

I would study John Carlton, Gary Halbert, Dan Kennedy, and Joe Sugarman. Next I always use the Amazon comments section to find the good and the bad in the product and address all those concerns left by actual buyers. Start mocking up some sales letters to any of those products and use the techniques taught by the gentlemen mentioned above and you will be fine.

I wish you the best of luck!
    The numbers will always work for you, if you work the numbers-Jay Abraham
    http://marketingkingpins.com

Array

Hi Laura,

Try and get an internship somewhere for six months or so. The experience is invaluable and it tends to look better on your CV than a big blank gap, even if the pay is maybe not ideal all of the time. It'd be a good idea to get yourself to a city where there are a lot of start ups already, and businesses are happy to take on younger folk with little or no experience. Cities like London, Berlin and Stockholm.

If you don't fancy moving away, then maybe look into getting some freelance stuff to build up some experience, write for free if you absolutely have to (but don't get into the habit of it!)

I cold-emailed tons and tons of marketing agencies asking if they needed any help with their content needs, whether it was blog posts, ebooks, copywriting, etc.

Basically position yourself as someone who is new to the industry, is looking for experience, and is willing to work for less than the market rate because of this.

Once you get a portfolio going and some testimonials, you'll be able to charge higher rates, because people will see proof that you can deliver.
    Are you wasting time trying to find leads on LinkedIn?

Take my short 7-question quiz right here and find out.