Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adobe Elements

Default Adobe Elements

I was thinking about getting Adobe Elements. I used to use Photoshop but haven't in a few years. All I really need to do is batch resize images and remove backgrounds. Will Elements do this for me?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Probably. Elements is a stripped down version of Photoshop. Unless you're someone who works with images and graphics professionally it will probably do everything you need. I'm not sure about the batch editing, since that could fall under the description of professional. I think Adobe offers a free 30 day trial if you want to give it a spin.

I just checked and they do have a try before you buy option.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Ya, and actually I just found a tutorial for batch editing with it...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I guess that answers that question then. If it does the batch editing it probably does what you need.

Does this mean you've given up on GIMP?
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post

Does this mean you've given up on GIMP?
    Pretty much. I find it very cumbersome to use. I also ended up with a windows computer. I bought a bare bones PC kit and was told by Tiger Direct that it was Linux compatible but its not. Its kind of hard to return a computer when its already built so I'm setting up a windows machine.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I gave GIMP a try a couple of times and never cared for it. Nothing about it was intuitive. I was always having to spend time figuring out how to do something that should have been simple.

I also ended up with a windows computer.
    My condolences.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

You may have noticed I wasn't here this past week, but the question was accurately answered. I often get asked about PS, and unless you do pro editing like I do, it's overkill and a luxury that may be nice to have, but not needed for most users. I doubt you'll need anything Elements won't be able to do. The Full PS will do more faster, but has a higher price tag for the privilege.

Now that you've moved into Windows, bill, I would caution you about MS Updates. I was trained in school to use the Updates (curriculum probably written by MS), but in practice I've been so frustrated by having my machine knocked out of whack that I've found it worse than most of the risks. Use a good anti virus and firewall, avoid Norton and McAfee like a plague (which I think they are), set your Updates to Notify so you can pick and choose what and if any to apply, and a Windows machine should run trouble free.

When something does change and the computer begins to misbehave (usually caused by an Update or software install), System Restore is a great tool to have.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Thanks Steve. My wife has been using Avast free antivirus and hasn't had any virus problems. Do you have one you recommend?

The windows computer is really just my hot standby computer. I do have a program that is only available on windows I want to run though. Who knows, maybe I'll like windows better. I haven't used it in several years now. I'm sure its changed quite a bit.

Refugee from the .com
    Array

You're welcome. The Avast is good. No reason not to recommend staying with that. Although I use a different AV on our other computers, my desktop (my primary computer) is running Avast. I've been using it for over a year and have been very happy.

It may take some adjustment working on W7, but it does grow on you. There are things I wish they'd done differently and XP behaviors I wish they had kept, but overall, I do like it.
    Steve Chittenden

Web design, graphic design, professional writing, and marketing.

"Far better is it to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." -- Theodore Roosevelt

Array

As a former geek squad employee, please please please, make recovery discs, so incase anything ever does happen, you have your recovery discs to get your computer pack up and running again it will save you SO much time.
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...