Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Theme Framework Design

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

But you are trying to make it easier for YOU, not the user. If you want it easier for the user, automatic updates for the theme is the way to go.
    If you are trying to make things easier for you and updating each theme is too much work, then you'll have to seperate the functionality from the theme so that you only have to update one thing.

Array

I'm trying to make things easiest for BOTH of us.

If I eventually develop 100 themes, and I make a few tweaks to the framework every week or two (or however long), then that means I'll have to update *100* different files for each update (twice that or more if I edit more than one file). That current setup doesn't sound like a viable solution at all from a developer standpoint.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Do a few themes well. 100 or even 50, or even 20 is far too many for one person to support. Even the larger theme designers don't have 1 guy doing 100 themes.
    But, you know as well as I do, when thier themes have an update, they update each one.
    As far as an across the board, update every theme solution. I can't see it. Especially since the themes aren't indentical in function.

The way I see it, you have 2 choices. Update each theme as needed, or put everything in a plug in and update just that. One is more conveneint for the customer, the other is more conveneint for you.
    Which is more important?

I dont' see any other solutions, unless you build one.

Array

OK thanks, I guess I'll have to think about which way will be best to go.

I thought maybe there was a solution out there where you could just update a portion of a theme or something, or perhaps there was a better place to hold the framework files, etc.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

Not that know of, but VG may know of something. Maybe a way to piggyback what you already have that just tagets certain files.
    If you are only updating the same files of each theme, and they are all identical, why couldn't you just categorize all themes as being the same update?

Array

The update script I found uploads and overwrites every file in the theme, on a theme-by-theme basis.

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I'll have to defer to VG on this one. If there is a way, I'm sure he'll have some ideas. Sounds like you may have to build a script that directs your updates where you want them to go from a central update file.

Array

OK, thanks for the input, appreciate it.