Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Google hates me...

Registered Member
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    • Use Adwords to test keywords and generate more data in your stats. Adwords requires SEO and unique landing pages most of the time, so it's not necessarily a trivial process.
    Thanks for the list billbenson, it has focused my attention on what is most important - something I desperately need to do. The last point in the list however, makes little sense to me. I assume I should create ads to test keywords and generate more data, but what do you mean "Adwords requires SEO and unique landing pages"? My success with Adwords is just as pathetic as my organic search results which is another scar I will spare you the details of except to say, it seems that google doesn't even like the way I write my ads. This may present an obstacle for me but I will have to address it again once I better understand what you are suggesting.

Oh and this...

Quote Originally Posted by billbenson View Post
    In the end, you end up with a resource site that G likes and is fairly large. Oh, and it sells!
    ...although, it's still a pipe dream, would be worth all the effort I have put in.
    Last edited by lionize; 05-06-2012 at 12:02 AM.

Thanks for the list billbenson, it has focused my attention on what is most important - something I desperately need to do. The last point in the list however, makes little sense to me. I assume I should create ads to test keywords and generate more data, but what do you mean "Adwords requires SEO and unique landing pages"? My success with Adwords is just as pathetic as my organic search results which is another scar I will spare you the details of except to say, it seems that google doesn't even like the way I write my ads. This may present an obstacle for me but I will have to address it again once I better understand what you are suggesting.
    This is the way I do adwords. There are other approaches as well: Bunch of key words -> an optimized ad includding keywords and a keyword in the url the add points to -> a unique landing page for that keyword. If I do a dynamic site you can use htaccess to point to the page with with the keyword ie hpprinters.com/hp/Photosmart5510.html. I write that page just for the one adwords ad. I have 100 plus adwords ads and as such have written 100 plus pages for the adwords ads. It goes without saying that this must be a call to action page as well (although if you are just collecting data that may not be necessary).

...although, it's still a pipe dream, would be worth all the effort I have put in.
    Every successful business takes a lot of time. I put in 12 hour days and weekends. An online business takes just as much time. If you are looking for an easy way out, this isn't it.

Registered Member
    Array

That is very clever, I will give it a try. I can't afford to do it on the same scale but should be able to replicate the effect. Thanks a lot.

Remember time passes fast. Do a little bit each week and one day you are there. If you do it wrong from the beginning its time wasted.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I was expecting the search engines to discover well written original content, index it and occasionally list it on one of the first few pages for less competitive keywords when requested - resulting in a few hits per day.
    You still need to do some work to get search engines to find you in the first place. They won't simply discover your content just because it's there. Even once they've discovered you, which it seems they have, you're in competition with plenty of other sites and pages. I grabbed some text from articles on your domain development site, typed them into Google and your page showed up first. Google knows you exist. If you aren't getting traffic from them it's not because they haven't discovered you.

If what you are saying is that I need to become a marketing expert in the traditional sense of the word before I can expect even modest success then I would say that there is little hope for the World Wide Web as traditional marketing requires not just one expert, but rather a team of experts and huge sums of money to compete and stay competitive.
    It's your business. You have to learn everything you can to make your business successful. No one is going to do it for you and it's not going to happen automatically. You don't need a team of experts and huge sums of money. I'm a web designer like you. I do my own marketing. I've never spent a dime on advertising. When I built my first site no one visited it. I realized I needed to do some marketing. I read a couple of books on business and marketing. I subscribed to a few blogs from marketers. Learning about marketing and seo became part of what I did. You don't need to be the foremost expert on marketing and seo. You do need to spend some time learning how to market your business or pay someone else to do it for you. Every business that's ever existed has had to. You're is no different.

SEO is the most convoluted subject I have ever researched. The amount of conflicting information available on this subject can only be the result of misinformation being spread to protect the massive amounts of money being made off this industry.
    It's only convoluted when you skip the big picture and try to dive into the details for quick results. The basics of seo don't change and they're pretty easy to understand. Yes there is conflicting information online. Yes there is misinformation. The better your foundation of knowledge the easier it is to tell the good from the bad information. Sometimes you need to do something yourself and see if it works or not.

Learn the big picture before getting caught up in the details. Here's marketing and seo boiled down.

Create something people want (content). Figure out who those people are and where they spend their time (keywords). Build a presence in those places to let people know you have what they want and convince them to choose you (links).

why would any well respected authoritative website offer to link to my site without getting one in return?
    There are other things you can give respected authoritative websites than links. Creating content for them is one. You'll find too that if you build relationships with people those people will gladly link to you without you having to ask. You can do things like link to them first without asking for anything in return. Leave thoughtful comments on their blog posts. Go to conferences and meet these people in person. Create something they want to link to.

Additionally, how long would that article be published on their website?
    Forever most likely. People don't remove content from their site all that often. Most sites don't publish articles and then pull them a month later. Sometimes an article will be removed from a site, but so what. If you've been repeating the process of getting links then no one link will be so important to your success.

The general theme I'm getting from your posts in this thread is you've already given up. There's a defeatist attitude in the things you're saying. If you expect to fail you will fail. You have to keep working at all this stuff. None of it necessarily comes easy and most of it requires a lot of hard work. You do what you can, see what is and isn't working, and then try again. When things don't work how you'd like don't get down. Learn from it. Try your best to understand why you didn't succeed in order to increase your changes of succeeding the next time and then try again.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Registered Member
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    The general theme I'm getting from your posts in this thread is you've already given up.
    Thanks for all the helpful advice and a fantastic forum as well. I can understand why you would get the impression that I have given up but this is not the case, I am simply trying to avoid wasting the very precious spare time I have to work on this project. I know that you are well aware of all the work that goes into launching and maintaining a commercial website so I am sure you will agree that the avoidance of wasted time is extremely important. This is why I started the thread by asking whether it is reasonable for me to expect to be able to learn SEO or not. I admit that I am frustrated by the lack of success and the SEO madness I must now sort through in order to become successful. That however, is more the result of becoming aware of the difficult reality I still face after an already challenging year or two and not a prelude to surrender.

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    No one is going to do it for you and it's not going to happen automatically.
    This really bothers me, I know you meant no harm but it could be interpreted the wrong way. I have worked exceptionally hard the last couple of years without any help from anyone. I had to first learn how to efficiently design a very basic website because I could not afford to pay someone to build my websites for me. I did this in my spare time and could not afford to take a course to expedite the process. After a lot of research, reading and mistakes I then had to obviously conceive, design, launch and maintain my website, which I have done 4 times now in an effort to improve my skills. I tried to approach this project as logically and realistically as I could, never expecting too much. I specifically waited a full year from the launch of domain development before evaluating my own success to ensure I wasn't being too impatient. I am not asking anyone to do this for me, I really just need some help sorting through all the information available now that I know it is possible to do this myself.

The information that I am getting from you and your friends on this forum is clearing up many of the misconceptions I had about SEO, that is terrific and thank you for that. I actually feel more hopeful that I (someone with limited resources and no formal education) can learn this skill and as a result compete for organic search some day soon.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

This really bothers me
    My apologies if I offended. I meant my statement more as a general thing than specifically directed at you. My bad if it didn't come across that way.

To answer your original question again, yes you absolutely can learn seo. It's not going to happen overnight though. I agree with you that there's a lot of misinformation online. Some of that is the nature of the game. Search engines don't tell us how their algorithms work so people have to do their best to figure it out. They try things and run tests, but even then it's nearly impossible to run scientific tests. There's always a bit of guesswork involved in seo. Also algorithms change so something that may have been true 5 years ago, isn't necessarily true today.

To help you better understand seo take a step back and see it in terms of the big picture. Ultimately search engines want to show you results you consider to be good for your search query. That's impossible to do since you and I can both search for the same thing and think different results are the best. But know that's their basic goal. As a site developer you want to build the best site you can for real people, since it's the best web pages search engines want to show in their results.

Here are a series of posts I wrote for someone on seo basics.

Beginner’s Guide to SEO: Best Practices – Part 1/3
    Beginner’s Guide to SEO: Best Practices – Part 3/3
    Beginner’s Guide to SEO: Best Practices – Part 3/3

They should help point you in the right direction.

Again though, seo isn't something you'll pick up overnight. The basic concepts are fairly easy to understand, but the details can get confusing. Most people don't need to understand more than the basics though. If you do the basics, create the best content you can, and do a little promotion for your content, a lot of seo has a tendency to work itself and fall into place.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Registered Member
    Array

No worries vangogh, I just wanted to make it clear that I am prepared to do the work once I understand how. Plus I have way to much respect for you and all the help that you offer to others.
    Well, I have to go...can't wait to read the "Beginner's Guide to SEO: Best Practices". Thanks for everything.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Hopefully my articles help. Do ask questions if you have any. And again remember this is stuff you can learn. Don't let the confusing information get you down. There comes a point where it all starts to click and it becomes easier to tell the good info from the bad and it all starts making sense.