Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Dominance of WordPress: 20 Compelling Statistics.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It wasn't so much a problem for me to clear caches and edit files in different folders. I didn't spend enough time with Magento to get through the learning curve, but I've no question I'd get through it. It's more thinking about my clients. I didn't feel like I could recommend a cart where they needed to call me for simple administrative tasks like changing a price. Changing the look of the site or the layout, sure, but changing a price seems like something that should be a simple change on the admin side.

How do your clients handle that kind of situation? Maybe it's easier than I think. Again I spent limited time working with Magento. I'm glad to know there's more documentation.

The site looks good. Nicely done. Don't forget to change the favicon. I noticed the Magento favicon is still showing. I can definitely see Magento is powerful and can do a lot. Maybe I'll have to give it another look one of these days.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Yeah I have a frien of mine who is going to school for graphic design doing some mock up logos for my client to choose from. So I'm waiting on that before I change the favicon. No chaning the prices isnt to hard, just select the product in the back end go to the price section change the price save product bam! done... No problems yet but i will let you know as its still a work in progress my client hasnt seen the back end yet... I'm going to be meeting with her some time next week, send a few hours with her and show her the ropes... the biggest issue I see for her is uploading image for the mass import through a .csv file and and ftp client like filezilla... but that's something we'll get passed. Once she gets the hang of it im sure she'll be pro within a week or so. But that's why I work locally where I can meet my clients somewhere and sit down and teach them hands on how to do things... make mine and their lives easier.
    Jonathon Harrelson
    Front End Web Developer - SEO Consultant - Web Evangelist
    The worst thing anyone can ever tell me is that I forgot a semi-colon...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I wonder why it was so difficult for us. I'm going on memory here, but I think we changed the price in two different places on the backend and it still didn't show up on the front end. Again this was a few years ago and I had nothing to do with setting up the site initially. Maybe it's something Magento improved since or maybe the person who set up the site originally did a few things wrong.

Maybe I should download it again and set something up locally to play. Ecommerce in WordPress is getting better, but it's still not as good as it can be and sometimes I get contacted by people who need a little more than what WordPress currently makes easy.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

yeah 1.7 just came out yesterday.
    Jonathon Harrelson

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I don't remember what version we were using, but this was about 3 years ago I think. I'm sure it's a few versions ago. Maybe that's enough to explain the difference.

Array

Yeah, I'm having fun with it, it's just waiting on the client to to get their crap together... hopefully it will be done by saturday. Meeting her up this week so I can finish setting up the payment system and showing her how to manage the website unless she wants me to manage it for $400 a month... seems reasonable... less than if she hires someone to manage it for her at 10-12 and hour...
    Jonathon Harrelson

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

There are times on every project where you're waiting on the client and I would think clients would say the same thing that there are times on the project where they're waiting on you. One of the reasons I like WordPress so much is that it's pretty easy for my clients to use should they want to manage their sites. I think the ease of the interface has been one of it's best selling points over the years.

Moving this thread back on topic a little here's Matt Mullenweg's State of the Word from 2011. I guess the 2012 version should be coming later in the summer. There's a video on the other side of the link (and also some data on WP) that's about a half hour long. Matt's a good speaker and his State of the Words usually pack some good info about where WordPress is and where he thinks it'll go over the next year.