Page 7 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 LastLast

Thread: Most annoying grammatical error

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

There are times when less than proper grammar is appropriate, Bill, and I've used improper grammar in the past when it seemed to work for whatever I was writing. The rules are flexible. When it comes to writing for marketing or sales, closure rate and style can trump grammar.

Array

Ok, it seems that I should be careful posting here as a nonnative english speaker.

Anyone here who would like to check the english parts of my corporate website and blogs?
    Last edited by Carsten; 06-14-2013 at 05:57 PM.
    Strategic planning for small business owners

When someone asks for your "advise" instead of your "advice."

Array

Quote Originally Posted by jim.sklansky View Post
    for me, large sentences are bother much. Also i don't feel comfortable to read the article which is written in allcaps. It slower down my reading.
    you're grammar is terrible!!

Array

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    I'm a bit of a Grammar Nazi and I admit it freely. I was always taught to use proper grammar when I speak and when I write. It drives me nuts when I see websites for companies that have grammatical and spelling errors. A few of my pet peeves are:

your instead of you're
    it's instead of its when using the possessive
    their instead of they're

What grammatical or spelling error annoys you the most?
    These types of errors make me want to cry!

one thing that gets me is then and than.

like "its better then nothing" and "ill do this than ill do that".

might be caused by the american accent though, since they sound similar. but i once saw a plumber's van with then instead of than written on it. whether it was the sign-writer or the business owner i don't know, but it annoyed me.

Array

He's and his, their there and they're and many others. heehee

I had to work hard to conquer those grammatical mistakes that you mentioned. They are so common. One thing that bothers me and it's not a grammatical thing is "went missing"....it used to be "so-and-so disappeared". You can't go missing. Missing is not a place at all and to "go" somewhere or to imply that someone "went" somewhere when it's an unknown place doesn't add up.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 10nnyson View Post
    I had to work hard to conquer those grammatical mistakes that you mentioned. They are so common. One thing that bothers me and it's not a grammatical thing is "went missing"....it used to be "so-and-so disappeared". You can't go missing. Missing is not a place at all and to "go" somewhere or to imply that someone "went" somewhere when it's an unknown place doesn't add up.
    There are a lot of phrases like that which, when examined, really make no sense. English is a very odd language when you really stop to examine how it's used and constructed. No wonder it can be so bewildering to learn.

When I learned Spanish I had to learn a lot of idiomatic expressions. 'In a round about way' for example. The usage of an odd or incorrect phrase has become correct grammar in Spanish over time. I would assume the same is true in English.