Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: Most annoying grammatical error

Web Consultant
    Array
    Blog Entries

I don't think of myself as the "grammar police" type, although I do notice the common mistakes. However, I can't shake that it makes me think a little less of the person's intelligence. Even though I know it to be irrational.

Especially when it's a woman that I'm dating, thinking about trying to date or just consider attractive. I don't say anything, but I have a hard time shaking that one instance where she may have messaged me and used "there" , when she meant "their". Even though I misspell and hit the wrong keys all of the time. If not for the automatic spell check in Firefox, and Outlook...most people would think I was Huckleberry Fin.

I once had a client that wrote "are" when he meant "our". That stuck with me. How do you make THAT mistake?
    In high school a girl wrote me a letter and spelled "our", as "ower". Till this day, if anyone brings up her name, I call her an idiot just because of that one instance. I mean that's a big one, right?

I can get over "their", "weather" and people making up contractions , but "our", "are", and "ower"? What is this? The front door of the Little Rascal's clubhouse? "Ower Gang"? Are you channeling Buckwheat now?

If the person was over the age of 12, wouldn't you think that they were a little stupid?
    Last edited by Harold Mansfield; 03-08-2012 at 09:29 PM.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I have to admit, that misuse in writing and in speaking tends to make me drop a person's IQ a few points in my mind. I understand that people make typos, heck I do, and some of them have made it into print. It happens. It's when it's consistently happening, and particularly when it happens in speech, "seen" instead of "saw" etc. that I tend to wonder.

"Your" and "you're" is by far the worst grammatical error. "Your so stupid!".
    Success usually comes to those who are too busy to be looking for it.

quality bathroom accessories

Array

I'm sort of a grammar Nazi myself. The one thing that gets me is run-on sentences. Anyone who is writing an informative article should keep their sentences concise and to the point. You're writing to inform, not tell an entire story using a single sentence.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

The run-on sentence thing is a trap I fall into occasionally. I tend to write long and wordy. Although most of the time I will keep it shorter for the more educational or informative posts.

I'm a writer but sometimes make annoying mistakes. My most common ones include confusing "it's" and "its" as well as "your" and "you're." Though for the last pair, it's mostly in phrases like "I appreciate your doing this for me."

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

The your and you're one I see all the time. A lot of people do that. It's and its as well.

Another is people putting apostrophes where they don't belong. That one drives me nuts.

Array

I love this thread! Seriously, the it's and its thing really drives me crazy! As for it getting a pass because of its supposed obscurity, I find that hard to believe. I distinctly remember learning that rule in second grade, and I went to a crappy public school in Texas for crying out loud! I'm always amazed at the number of professional bloggers I read who misuse and misspell words.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I see a lot of this sort of thing on websites too. I'll point errors, grammar or spelling, out to the site owners and they tell me it's the product that's important, not whether they misspelled a word or misplaced a comma. It astonishes me. I wouldn't buy from someone who couldn't take the time to do basic proofreading on their site. Maybe I'm unique in that, but I don't think so.

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    your instead of you're
    their instead of they're
    Yes! These are so annoying! I also hate it when people say "different than" instead of "different from"...ugh!
    Get Free Useful Information, Great tips and Advice on Effective Communication Skills: EffectiveCommunicationAdvice.com