• Other

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What blog software do you use and why

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Default What blog software do you use and why

I'm partial to Wordpress although I do use Blogger for one of the blogs for which I write. I'd like to move that blog to Wordpress though.

What blog software do those of you that write blogs use, and why did you choose to use that software?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Definitely WordPress for me. I prefer to host my own blog since it gives you more control over things. Blogger at least lets you use your own domain, but I think there are still issues if you want to move everything somewhere else later.

Plus WordPress has an active developer community around it. Most of the time if you wish it could do something someone else has already figured it out and written a plugin.

WordPress (hosted on your server) is really flexible and the more I work with it the more I realize what you can do with it. I played around with bbPress, which is forum software developed by the same people who developed WordPress.

I thought it might make a quick solution for us here, but it's not mature enough yet. I think in a year or two it will give vBulletin a run for its money.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

I also have gone for WordPress for both of the blogs i write. Literally there was one key it comes down to. I one day went through Fantastico and installed each of the Blog scripts available and played with each for a bit and Wordpress was the one that i liked the best, and also offered me just what i wanted.

Probably not the ideal way to find the best one, however i think i did come out ahead as it is that i did end up choosing WordPress
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Array

Default Wordpress

I researched what the majority of bloggers were using and it was Wordpress. Many recommendations were that Wordpress gives you so much flexibility with your site and it is easy to use.

I would definitely recommend Wordpress.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'd say Wordpress is winning by a large margin at the moment. I can't say I'm surprised. I use it too.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm not surprised either. There's a reason why it's so popular. It's easy to install and use and it also happens to be free. If you don't mind working with code it's fairly easy to customize and it's very flexible and extensible with an active developer community writing plugins.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

I use Wordpress because my webmaster recommended it after researching a few different apps. It's all I know so I can't compare it to others but I like it.

Aaron

Array

Wordpress for sure here. The only other I have tried is joomla and I find WP to be way more user friendly.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Wordpress is definitely a clear winner so far. I'm not even sure I know what other blog software is out there. I think Typepad is still around, but what else besides that?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I've seen people talk about Expression Engine and both Drupal and Joomla (which are billed as full CMS) have blogging capabilities.

I think most people are blogging on either WordPress of Blogger, though Blogger isn't something you can add to your own site. The more I learn about WordPress the more I see it can do a lot more than just blogging too.