Thread: Would like your thoughts on my current situation.

Default Would like your thoughts on my current situation.

History:

I currently work full time as a structural steel detailer for a privately owned/run steel fabricator. I've been employed with this company for almost 11 years and continue to enjoy my job and the people I work for. I have no future plans on leaving to pursue my own business full time. However back in 2008 I did decide that I wanted to detail for myself (nights & weekends). I was in need of extra money and figured this was the easiest way to get a second job. So I created a business name and registered it so that I was legit. Back in 2008 I had a connection who was able to send clients in my direction. It was also back when the economy was still thriving. Now it's 2011 and my connection has since retired and the economy is a mess. I continue to work for the same (3) clients that I've had from the start but the work load isn't what it once was. So this leads me to why I'm here looking for help/advice.

So as you can guess I'm in the process of figuring out how best to get my foot in the door with new clients without the help of my connection.

My first hurdle is that I have never mentioned to my boss what I do on the side. At the time I didn't feel it was an issue as I wasn't out publicizing what I did. But now that I need to start looking for more clients this seems like an issue. I don't feel I can take complete advantage of all the ways to drum up business if I'm worried my boss is going to come across it. I don't think he would have an issue with it as long as it's on my own time but at the same time I'm not a 100% sure. So I'm torn between saying something or not saying something and have him find out. ugh!

So my thoughts are if I don't inform them of my part time business I'm really only able to send out letters of introductions and business cards to potential clients. Whereas if I do tell them I would be able to take advantage of creating a website/forums/Facebook/LinkedIn, etc. I'd really like to get my name/business out there so that I can start increasing my clientele. I guess I would like some thoughts on this.

I'd also like to know if there are any possible legal issues. I never signed a contract saying I wouldn't work for other fabricators so I don't believe this would be an issue. Is there anything I might want to be aware of before possibly letting the cat out of the bag?

I do have several other questions but I'm going to create a new thread for each so it isn't all in one thread. I think some questions would go unanswered if they were all included in one thread.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Array

Tell your boss and most likely you'll be fired.....your his competitor....why wouldnt he fire you?

website/linked in/ face book wont get you much business....probably none

send fliers and make phone calls to potential clients...........when your the new guy its hard to find new business... no one will trust you...it takes time.....i used to make those calls in the beginning and it was very hard to find someone to give me a shot......i have been sending all the potential customers fliers for 5 years and finally they all seem to trust me...finding new customers isnt as hard.....now when i call they actually talk to me instead of getting rid of me asap.

i see no advantage to telling your boss....

Array

I say get in to another type of side business. If you love your 'job' why are you putting it in jeopardy? Many other things out there to do... why take the chance of getting fired? Seems crazy to me......

Smile

Hi,

I've worked for my dad for 8 years now for a management position, we are a retailing company selling all kinds of spare parts for cars. On those 8 years, there have been different individuals and opportunities that came to me with a similar line of business but I did not accept nor consider the proposals. The thought of getting into the same business as what my dad has is like I'm killing the company that so worked very hard on for the past 8 years, making it grow. What I'm trying to say is, people are looking for your skills to compete your current business, that is why I chose not to. I would rather have a replacement for my current position in our company, get in to a business but on a different field. I would look for a different kind of business. There are many potential in the market now a days and I am sure you will not run out of ideas... Do not complete with the current job that you have if you are still looking forward into having good relations with your current boss in the future. Plus your boss knows you, he knows what your weaknesses are, if your going to compete you may end up loosing.

Array

I think you're playing with fire...you should make a choice between the two, and live with it.

I agree with the others... you are crossing an improper line and I would fire you immediately if you worked for me. In essence you are competing with me and potentially stealing from me by being exposed to my clients as well as any trade or operational secrets I may expose to you as my employee.

Do not be greedy. IF you value your job, then refrain from what you are doing on the side.
    Pete - Reflo Ltd - A smart alternative to sippy cups
    www.reflo.net

Array

Consider the possibility that they may know about your sideline, but have decided not to confront you about it because you are more of an asset than a threat. The world of steel fabrication can't be that insulated. People tend to know what's going on in their city in any industry.

If that is the case, and you do bring it up with them, you may be getting into a deeper discussion than you expected. Personally, I would never do something like that unless I was ready and willing to walk away if we couldn't come to an amicable agreement.
    I've been dancing on the bleeding edge of technology for 30 years and I still have all of my toes. :-) | ProSocialTools.com | No neckties!!!!

I would have to agree with the others. If you were running a different business, or even a tangential business that had no direct competition with your current firm you might be ok. Given the scenario you laid out this would not be a smart idea. Make a choice between the two and live with it.

Array

You're running a side business that competes directly for the same jobs and clients as your employer, that will get you fired and probably without a good reference. There is also a good case he will find out about this or already has. Without mentioning you side job, you might try talking with him about getting a commission on any work that you bring in. You can then fold your side job into your current job. This would give you a little extra money and your boss should be happy about the new work.
    HouseView™ - The leading real estate site for South East Missouri. Follow us on Twitter @HVOL.
    Jackson MO Real Estate, Cape Girardeau Missouri Real Estate, Festus Missouri Real Estate