Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: pinterest links

Array

Default pinterest links

my pinterest links are getting a lot of people to my website..... will these count as good links on google?
    have you seen pinterest? its all about a picture with a website link under it....the pictures get sent around the internet....i can see from statcounter that lots of people are going to my website from my pinterest....so im assuming thats GOOD.
    HAVE YOU HEARD ANY REPORTS ABOUT PINTEREST LINKS?
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

I actually have and I meant to do my own testing. From what I remember, they are do-follow (how long will that last?). Do you have some screen caps that you can share? Also, are these from the images or are people actually clicking on the links?

Array

whats a screen cap? whats a do follow? i have 140 followers.in under a month..... .... all the pictures arent mine of course, but according to my stat counter pinterest is in the top 3 for getting folks to my website....that would mean they are clicking on my actual links a lot....several esach day....and so nice because they would obviously be interested in what im interested in, mainly what i stock at my store....
    i hope you will share any new pinterest opinions....im wondering if i should put prices on some of my furniture..one customer in the store thinks thats takky.... that it should just stay social.... i kind of agree....but its temppting.....
    heres mine...ann at greenoak...if you are interested...
    imho...its geting huge

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Ann a screen cap is just an image of what you see on screen. Sometimes it specifically means an image taken from a moment in a video.

With links Google helped introduce the idea years ago of an attribute called nofollow. You add rel="nofollow" to the code behind the link to let search engines know you aren't specifically endorsing the web page on the other side of the link. The idea was introduced in blog comments where anyone can add a link, but you don't know who they are. With nofollow you could protect yourself from appearing to be linking to and endorsing all sorts of spammy sites.

The idea of the nofollow link expanded beyond blog comments long ago. Most social sites add nofollow to all their links to help prevent being manipulated for links.

When a link doesn't have rel="nofollow" applied it's sometimes called a dofollow link, though there's technically no such thing as dofollow. Where seo is conceded you'd typically prefer a dofollow link to a nofollow link as the former pass value through the link, while the latter doesn't. In theory a nofollow link would be the same as not having a link at all.

Where Pinterest is concerned their links to other sites currently don't have the rel="nofollow" added meaning they should be helping your pages to rank better. However history suggests that as Pinterest gets more popular many people will jump in and try to manipulate the site in order to get the links and to combat that Pinterest will eventually add the nofollow.

To answer your initial question the links are probably helping with Google now, but odds are they won't be at some point in the future.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

pinterest seems to be all about the links...thats what makes it so nice....they are all about the intereaction and its a big plus to be able to link out t o all the neat places so easily.... thats kind off why we like it so much........hopefully that wont change...
    story, hope you got to my page...

I emailed pinterest today to get "invited" to join. So far I've only been seeing good comments about it and want to be a part of it, for my website traffic and also to keep track of places I like.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Ann I think the links will always be valuable part of Pinterest. More for people actually clicking on them to get your website. Most sites like this eventually have to turn off the part that makes the links help with search engines, but the links should still work and people should still visit your site so I think Pinterest will continue to be good for you even if I'm right about the search engine part.

By the way last week I requested an invite to join and revived the invite a couple of days ago. I set up an account, but haven't done anything with it yet. You might be interested to know that more and more marketers are talking about Pinterest as a social site people should join. That's not why I signed up though. You seemed to like it a lot and so I thought I would take a look. I like how much the site uses images and I noticed some topics that I'm interested like design and art and architecture. I often want to bookmark or in this case pin things around those topics so it seemed like a good site to join.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I'm actually looking into creating a Pinterest account for EnMart because I've been reading such good buzz about it. Plus, being in the garment decoration supply field, pictures really are worth a thousand words on occasion. I haven't set up an account yet because I'm waiting for an invite, but I think it will be something I"ll be playing around with in the future.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It didn't take them long to send me an invite. Maybe a week or 10 days. I haven't had a chance to play around inside other than filling out the basic info for my profile, which you're directed to do after signing in the first time.

The buzz about it has grown significantly in the last month or so, though I would think in time like most social networks a similar pattern will emerge. Internet marketers will start recommending it and a bunch of people will then start spamming the place. Once that happens the links will get nofollows added and there seo value will be greatly reduced. None of that will stop people from clicking on the links, which is where the real value will be.

I think the images do make it a more interesting place and more fun to browse around the site. Because of all the design and art related categories I thought it would be a good place for me to find inspiration for things.

Array

kristine,are you on yet? you just need a friend to invite you...i can do it for you if you send me your email....i think it would suit your business very well... the nature part and the embroidery part both...

vg.. actually the users love it and the main descriptive word i hear about it is addictive....right now i think the users are driving the growth and interest just among themselves..........and dont need the gurus .... you get on almost instantly with a personal invite from another user... ... as opposed to registering which takes a while... ..

yes as a business i will be interested in how to make it a tool for my business...but mainly for me, as for most imho , its pure pleasure...but , as a side plus its getting me lots and lots of hits on my website....hits from very kindred spirits.....a nice little unintended consequence.....
    i figure my followers will keep on following me...why not? its all about following boards you like...
    Last edited by greenoak; 01-16-2012 at 08:22 PM.