Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Backlinks

Wink Backlinks

Hey there -

We are looking for tips on how to get relevant, reciprocal backlinks to our site. I've explored subscriptions for high PR backlinks, but I'm told that's not the most ethical way to go about it. Any thoughts from the experts would be greatly appreciated.

If anyone on here has a site or blog that's somehow relevant to small business loans and financing, we'd be happy to exchange links.

Thanks.
    Joe B.
    Better Business Funding, LLC
    "The Right Financing At The Right Time"

Why do you want reciprocal links? They won't help your SERPS or PR. They did years ago, but not any more.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Seeking reciprocal links is not the best way to attract links to your site. It isn't that hard for search engines to figure out the links exist only to manipulate results, allowing them to discount the links at best or penalize the site at worst.

That's not to say to websites or even web pages can't link back and forth between them, but if you're seeking reciprocal links you'll quickly find yourself in bad linking neighborhoods. If most of your incoming links are reciprocated it's obvious the links aren't legit recommendations and exist solely to manipulate search results.

The best way to gain links is to start by having something worth linking to. Accept that the vast majority isn't going to link to product and sales pages, because there's little reason to ever link to them. The majority link to information content so you need to create compelling informational content.

Your blog and news section are the most likely parts of your site to attract links. Think about who you're writing for and who would be interested in the content in those sections. Figure out where you can reach those people and then build a presence in those places. Promote your content in front of those people and in time they'll subscribe to and link to your content.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Gotcha - thanks for the advice. I'm trying to learn as I go.
    Joe B.
    Better Business Funding, LLC
    "The Right Financing At The Right Time"

Registered Member
    Array

What do you mean by "reciprocal" backlinks? I know usually articles with relevant content to your keywords is a good place to start as far as back linking. There are tons of sites that offer distribution like that for free, so its an easy and cost effective way of spreading quality back links.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Reciprocal links are when 2 web pages each link to the other. In years past search success was tied to more links. Whoever had the most did the best, regardless of the quality of the link. So people would trade links with each other. The problem was that there was little thought to where the links were pointing so lots of sites ended up with pages of links pointing to random places.

It was also clearly an attempt to manipulate search ranking, which search engines didn't like. They can now detect reciprocal linking and discount the links or in the worst cases penalize a site. Also winning the rankings game is no longer about getting more links at all costs. Quality trumps quantity. So the site that manages to acquire a handful of good links will usually rank ahead of the site that builds a large quantity of low quality links. Reciprocal links tend to fall into the lower (or no) quality category.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Hi

The best strategy for backlinks is one that is diversified. Choosing one or a few types of links and focusing on those can be detrimental to your site's health (example: those who overused article marketing lost much of their rankings when Panda wiped out article sites this year).

Lesson learned: don't depend on one kind of link.

High quality, original content is your best generator of links because they are natural. Making your site as high quality as possible is the best, safest strategy.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseTaylor
    High quality, original content is your best generator of links
    Yep. That's absolutely the best way to acquire links. I think too many people focus on the link building without giving consideration what they're actually driving links to. If the content is bad then the links don't really matter since it will drive people away as soon as they arrive.

You can't just build it and think they will come. Some promotion is necessary, but if you start out with the idea of creating the best content you can then others will think it good too and they'll want to recommend it to the people they know without you having to ask.

Registered Member
    Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    Reciprocal links are when 2 web pages each link to the other. In years past search success was tied to more links. Whoever had the most did the best, regardless of the quality of the link. So people would trade links with each other. The problem was that there was little thought to where the links were pointing so lots of sites ended up with pages of links pointing to random places.

It was also clearly an attempt to manipulate search ranking, which search engines didn't like. They can now detect reciprocal linking and discount the links or in the worst cases penalize a site. Also winning the rankings game is no longer about getting more links at all costs. Quality trumps quantity. So the site that manages to acquire a handful of good links will usually rank ahead of the site that builds a large quantity of low quality links. Reciprocal links tend to fall into the lower (or no) quality category.
    So are link wheels an example of this?

Quote Originally Posted by SnellExperts View Post
    So are link wheels an example of this?
    It depends on what "this" is. A link wheel, in its purest form, avoids reciprocal linking, so if "this" means reciprocal linking, the answer is no.

If by "this" you mean "an attempt to manipulate search ranking" then the answer is yes. A link wheel is just another way that a website puts its efforts into building its own self-serving links from controlled sites rather than spending the same effort to build good content which will attract links organically.