Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is a concealed permit and a new gun a business expense

Array

Default is a concealed permit and a new gun a business expense

the WI concealed permit application process just opened up today

my permit is in the mail. Almost every contractor that i know(if not all) will be applying also. Since working in bad neighborhoods is one of my main reasons for it i wrote the check out from my business account. I may be purchasing a new more concealable gun in the near future and am considering it a work tool.

of course my accountant will be the deciding factor....

any opinions? i feel its legit, but do see where i may only get a partial deduction since the permit/gun wont be work work only

If you are going to carry a weapon, I would want to be very well trained in its use. I would bet most aren't. In Florida there are classes that go from the very basic to firing at pop up targets in a police type of raid. I think they use paint guns as part of the training although I haven't investigated it.

Consider it like building reactions learning a sport. You do practice runs over and over again so when you are in a real game your body reacts, you don't think. It takes repetition over and over again over long periods of time.

It would be hell to shoot a gun only because you reacted wrong and shoot someone innocent.

Array

ive been around guns for 20 years...i have my hunters safety license

I do plan on taking some tactical classes in the future though.

Most people arent very well trained, but you dont hear about CCL people shooting themselves in the foot every day

most normal people dont shoot innocent people my mistake too often and there are probably a million CCL people out there.

i used to target shoot weekly with hand guns...still do with a shotgun

im just looking for the business deduction

How long till the local news paper decides to print a list of concealed permit holders. But might be like VA where they post there name, phone number, and address. It was great for the cops and for the people that worked in the jails. That information is open to the public in most states.
    Last edited by mailorder; 11-01-2011 at 05:17 PM. Reason: forgot the word "print"

My point is not that you are skilled in the use of guns. I do doubt that you are skilled in the safe use of them. But using weapons in a confrontational environment with adrenalin running is a different thing. You want to react like an athlete without thinking about it. You don't practice that in hunting or target shooting.

Array

I seriously doubt it would be considered a business expense. I would think that it would only qualify for professions where carrying a weapon is actually required.
    Steve B

Array

I could see it maybe if you were a bounty hunter or something. I wasn't aware that being a general contractor was a dangerous business.. Check with your accountant and see what he has to say..

Array

I seriously doubt that you could get off with writing it off as a business expense just because you work in a bad neighborhood. You are not working in an occupation that requires you to carry a gun. You can double check with your accountant, but I believe I am correct.

Mr. Tax Man
    Array

I find it hard to find a need to justify it as a business expense. It's not an ordinary and necessary business expense for someone in your field, and you're doing it for your personal benefit. If something went bad, there is a reason we have police departments.

Additionally, licenses are issued to individuals. I don't think you want to associate the business, as you are perhaps opening you and it to lots of liability. Now if you shoot me and I know the gun is owned by your business, in addition to suing you, I can probably sue your business too. So much for "limited" liability!
    Small Business CPA
    "A tax loophole is something that benefits the other guy. If it benefits you, it's tax reform."

Array

And if I was doing your bookkeeping for you, I would record the expense as an owner's draw and not a business expense. It would show up on your balance sheet under the equity section and not on your Profit & Loss.