Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Radio Radio

Array

Good point Joel - I guess since driving is the only time I listen to the radio, that was the way I was thinking.

Yes Patrysha, I did buy a standard run of time like you described. I think if I ever go on a more popular (expensive) station, I'll do it in a more specific time slot. The general schedule that I bought came to less than $3 per spot - so I was O.K. having it run 5 times a day, 5 days a week. They actually will run it quite a bit more than 5 times a day because they will run it late night and on weekends when they want to fill space and they don't charge for those spots.

I can't imagine making the spot only 30 seconds. I guess if I was selling something that people already understood it would be O.K., but I've got the only company that delivers pet food in our area so it needed 60 seconds in my opinion.

It should start this week. I'll try not to judge the results for a month or so (it runs for 3 months).
    Steve B

Array

Yeah, ROS generally does come with quite a few freebie spots in the "D" time slots...the likelihood of any freebies in the "A" & "B" slots is minimal, but you'll get your paid slots into A&B times at least once a day. The rates you got are outstanding for a 50,000 reach, so way to go on the negotiations there!

Array

Good luck on your campaign. If you can hit the right spots and the right people it could be quite a boom for business..

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I can't imagine making the spot only 30 seconds.
    Keep in mind that much of the reason for the spots is simply to get people to remember your brand. Like Dan said people aren't going to hear the commercial and rush to the phone to call. It's more that when the day comes where they want to have pet food delivered and they're wondering who to call you want them to think of you first.

With that in mind you don't need to explain everything about your business in every spot. You could cut our a few things to create a 30 second spot and mix those with the 60 second spots. People having heard the longer version will fill in the missing parts anyway, but if less time means the spot costs less…

The key is just getting people to remember your name and how to reach you when the time comes.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Quote Originally Posted by vangogh View Post
    You could cut our a few things to create a 30 second spot and mix those with the 60 second spots. People having heard the longer version will fill in the missing parts anyway, but if less time means the spot costs less…
    Actually 30s are more expensive...which is why sales teams tend to like them, you make more off of 2-30's than for 1-60...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I was thinking the 60 second spot could just be cut and thought 1 30 second spot would cost less than 1 60 second spot so some of the 60's could be replaced with 30's. If that's more expensive then it doesn't make sense though. That would be silly to spend more to get less back.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Array

It's weird - one station I spoke to charged the same for a 30 as it did a 60. I'm pretty sure the one I went with would have charged the same thing also. I figured I might as well take the extra time to get my points across.

I do think in the future, assuming I stick with the radio for a while, I might want to mix it up between the 30's and the 60's. But first, I need them to at least understand the concept of what we're doing. Then, I can work on the name recognition and/or the comparison of our food versus other foods.

Patrysha - since you're a radio person, I'll try to e-mail you the .wav file so you can comment. I hope that's O.K.
    Steve B

Array

Where we are a 60 is more expensive than a 30,but not twice as much...so the 60's are a better deal...but many people think that is too long...180 words is not too long IMO.

Send it along Steve, but don't be looking for an immediate response...working ungodly hours at the restaurant with one prep cook and two line cooks out when we were already working on expanding staff...so not on the computer for more than an hour a day lately...

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Weird they would charge the same for both spots. That doesn't seem like the best practice for the station since they're giving away an extra 30 seconds of time they could sell. I think what Patrysha has seen make sense. You sell both at different rates, but give a discount for buying more time.

Array

Yeah, I have never seen anyone pay the rack rate on radio. It's one of the things that drove me a bit nuts, because the numbers on the official rate sheet were just the starting point.