Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Adwords Keyword List Generator

Array

Default Adwords Keyword List Generator

Hi All,

I have quiet a few ads to set up for product's in adwords, and while i don't mind the manual approach to ensure i get everything, it sure would make it easier if i could auto generate a list of keywords and copy and paste when that step comes up.

What i am thinking about is more so i come up with my 10-15 normal keywords, but then a program that will automatically tag on the location specific keywords for example. I come up with Keyword 1, Keyword 2, etc. Then the program would add to each keyword all the place names i put in like Brisbane, Cleveland, etc.

The reason a program would be handy is at the moment i often limit myself to about 3 or 4 location names tagged on the end of each keyword, however i would like to expand this to about 20 or 30 suburb names, to try and capture as many search queries as i can. Doing this manually would take me 10 times as long.

Thanks for any help.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Try this keyword list generator from SEOBook.com. It takes a list of keywords and a list of modifiers and combines them into a list. There's a video at the top of the page showing you how to use it. I think it'll do what you want.

Check out some of the other tools at SEO Book too. Aaron has lots of good free stuff on the site.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Why not just use the keyword tool built into Adwords?

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Aaron this is more about combing two lists. One would be a list of phrases you might find through a something like the AdWords Keyword Toll and another list might be a set of modifiers.

For a simple example imagine your site is about real estate and you build a list of keywords like:

real estate
    real estate listings
    property listings
    real estate investment
    etc

You know you want to use the same phrases in many cities and towns. "real estate" is kind of a useless phrase, where "real estate san diego" is much more useful. So you want to combine the above phrases with modifiers like:

San Diego
    Los Angeles
    San Franciso
    Sacremento
    etc

Those are now two separate lists and you want to combine them into one so you have

real estate san diego
    real estate los angeles
    real estate san francisco
    real estate sacremento
    real estate listings san diego
    real estate listings los angeles
    etc

That's a lot of typing. The tool I linked to and what I think Joel is looking for is something that will take your two separate lists and combine them so you end you end up with one long list without having to type everything out.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

I have a couple of tools I wrote when I was starting with adwords. They are pretty cryptic and need to be redone. What I did is generate primary and secondary keywords.

So, taking VG's example it would come up with real estate san diego as well as san diego real estate. I can send you a copy, but there are probably better on line solutions.

The thing is, you probably want to generate from a generator with an input of real estate and another field of san diego:

real estate sandiego
    san diego real estate

"real estate sandiego"
    "san diego real estate"

[real estate sandiego]
    [san diego real estate]

Add in a third term as most searches are for three key words ie san diego real estate prices and you get a laundry list of terms.

I generally have the best results using brackets ei [san diego real estate] or [real estate san diego]

I put the naked keyword, key words in quotes, and keywords in brackets in different groups as well. Usually with the same optimized ad. Gives you the option to tweak the ad though if one performs better than the other.

You can put a laundry list of keywords in a group and just start deleting the ones that don't get impressions. Doesn't mean that the same keywords wouldn't work better with a different ad though.

Takes a lot of messing with. Delete the ones with no impressions after a month or two though. Ideally you like to ultimately have 20 key phrases per ad, but I usually end up with 50 or so.

Like I said, I wrote my own, but they put out a lot of garbage. Stats are probably the best place to get keywords. Remember to look at stats for negative keywords as well!!

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Bill, I think the SEO Book tool might do what you're tool is doing. I'm not sure, but I believe it will.

I just gave it a quick try. Didn't read the instructions but...

It didn't give:

real estate sandiego
    san diego real estate

It only gave san diego real estate.

I tried a different search term, but the analogy applies.

A typical searcher will try a search like this:

San Diego Real Estate
    San Diego Real Estate Brokers
    San Diego Real Estate Discount Brokers

Several searches, so the order of the words may be important and doesn't necessarily make sense. It could be just as easily Broker San diego real estate. You need to cover all bases, particularly in the exact match.

That's not important unless you use [] which is for an exact match. I called those brackets before because I don't know what the actual term is for them, but brackets are {} and are not used to my knowledge in adwords. Just a clarification.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

I thought it did reorder the words, but maybe not. Aaron might have another tool for that. There's quite a few on the site. It wouldn't give sandiego though since that word wouldn't have been on the list. The tool isn't removing the spaces (or was that just a typo on your part)

Word order can be important depending on the query. I wouldn't think 'estate real' would be meaningful, but people might search for either

san diego real estate
    real estate san diego

I didn't look at it very closely, VG, so I t may have that option. But in a quick test, it didn't show reorderd results.

The other thing that would make me nervous about the tool is data collection. If they are asking your for your website and search criteria, what are thy going to do with that info?

I'd rather write my own. I'd do it in php, but excel would certainly be capable of this.

Array

Bill, i kind of agree, not so much on the ordering as i had not even thought of that idea, but it may be something that i will have to have a look at, as people may be searching for the area name then the search term.

However more so what i was looking for was basically joining one list to another list, but where each term in the second list was joined to each term in the first list. As per Vangogh's first example.

I tried out the link, i didn't watch the video however i thought that the directions did lack a little on the page itself, and all i could get out was the two lists joined together where every terms was just listed. I had not even thought about using Excel before you mentioned it, however CONCATERNATE and just filling the cells may do what i am looking for quicker.
    Joel Brown
    My Travels