Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Anyone Heard of Kickstarter?

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I just read the article. I like the idea behind why they started the site, and how they did it. I also think the article is right, they could face some issues if they go more corporate, and transparency will always be key. Have to admit I didn't really think about it from the developing contacts and testing new ideas standpoint, but it would be a great venue for that.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It was a good article, wasn't it?

Hopefully they won't expand to the point where they can't moderate the projects to some degree. I think Kickstarter is a pretty cool idea, though I'll admit to being suspicious the first time I came across the site. The more I've learned about it, the more I'm behind what they're doing.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Registered Member
    Array

I have been hearing quite a bit about kick starter here recently. My son is actually thinking about using it to fund his album for the band that he is in. I know he has spoken with a few different people that have all experienced success with it (10,000 ish was what they were raising). I'm going to direct him to the crowd funding site that was listed on the first page of this forum to see if it can help him out anymore.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Musicians would seem to fit well with who Kickstarter wants to attract and who the community supports. It's probably a good idea for your son to give it a try. I think the worst case is his band doesn't meet their goal and gets no money, but that's pretty much where they are now before trying.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

From what I've seen, it looks like the key to getting funding is to have a well thought out proposal and to present it well. You can't just go and say I want to write a book or I want to make a record. You have to show people that you have a plan for what you want to do.

I'd be interested in hearing if your son tries Kickstarter and what his experience is.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Very true. It's not a simple matter of ask and they will give. It also helps if people know who you are in advance and trust that you'll be able to complete your project and that it will turn out well.

Your son should probably look through some of the current projects and see how they present things. There are some good videos up and it would make sense for him to share a song or even a rough demo so people can listen to what they'll be supporting.

Registered Member
    Array

They are working with a guy right now to get a professional video. I know it seems like they are putting a lot of thought into this, so hopefully they will succeed with their plan. I will definitely keep you guys posted on how his experience goes.
    -vangogh- yeah, they really don't have a lot to lose except for the time they put into the video. It's nice because it doesn't cost them any money to do it, so it really is worth a shot since it really doesn't have any risk.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

And since they're musicians learning something about how to make a good video is only going to be a nice skill to have. Keep us updated. I'll be looking forward to seeing their video. Hopefully Kickstarter works for them.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Wow, that's exciting that they're going to give this a try. I'll keep my fingers crossed for them.

Registered Member
    Array

Thank you very much. I will keep you guys posted as things update with it. I will get the link from him whenever they get it live.