Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: When you are self-employed and you are sick...

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I guess it all comes down to having a contingency plan of some kind. This is a really eye opening thread for those who are thinking of going into business for themselves. You tend to think of office space and equipment and funding, but you don't always consider what would need to happen if you were sick or unable to work for some reason. Those sorts of problems should probably be considered when the original plans for the business are being created. It's better to have the solution in place before you need it.

Array

Very true Kristine, I know it is something I didn't really think about, but have had to deal with a few times this past year.
    ~Jenn
    Crazy Dog Creative: Graphic Design and Marketing

Array

I just had vein surgery in 1 leg on Christmas Eve.....I thought work would be slow right now...i was wrong...

Everyone wants their projects finished before Christmas and this week Im still finishing the projects which didnt make it due to other trades.

Problem is i have 1 large project 1/2 done and ive put the builder off 1 1/2 weeks now..every other trade is doing the same to him though...i decided to put 1 customer off to satisfy 10 others with small projects....i make most of my money on large projects, so it may not have been a good decision?...i explained my surgery to him and obviously the holiday is partially to blame...

i get alot of sinus infections also...i started using a sinus rinse...Neilmed i think is the name of it...1 or 2 x a day and it cut my sinus infections from almost weekly to 1 or 2x a year....i no longer have a headache all winter long...5cents a day!

i have not missed 1 day due to sickness for the 2 years ive been in business...until last week.

if your willing to work weekends and 12 hour days to catch up i wouldnt worry about missing a day or 2...ive had customers who wouldnt work with me because they worry about me being injured....its a real worry, but rare
    Last edited by huggytree; 12-29-2008 at 08:18 AM.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Welcome to the forum huggy. Sorry to hear about your leg. Not that there's ever a good time for surgery, but this probably wasn't the best timing for it. Are you back working again?

Good to see you here. Thanks for joining the community.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Quote Originally Posted by huggytree View Post
    I just had vein surgery in 1 leg on Christmas Eve.....I thought work would be slow right now...i was wrong...
    welcome back, Huggy. Hope your leg is ok.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here

Array

Hey Huggy,

I was wondering when you'd give the .net version a try. I'm glad to see you here.

You might want to give an introduction post (which will be an update for many of us).
    Steve B