Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with comments on my blog

Array

Default Problem with comments on my blog

I wrote a blog a few weeks ago. I don't usually get very many comments, if any. I got one on this particular blog, approved it and commented back on it. But today I have received three comments on the same blog all from the same person. Each comment is different and doesn't necessarly relate to the content of the blog. They are more on how nice the blog looks, how do you set up a blog, glad they found my blog. I have not approved these comments. What can be going on? I thought Askemet would catch stuff like this.

Thanks.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

It does sound like spam. Akismet isn't perfect. It catches spam based on a large database of information, but someone can still get away with spamming if their info isn't in that database. If you mark the comments as spam on your blog then this persons info will make it's way into the database and help fight spam.

Just know that no spam fighting tool is going to be perfect. Sometimes spam will get through and you'll have to manually remove it and report it as spam.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Or, maybe, they are just being nice and trying to strike up a conversation. It doesn't always serve to take a negative view. What harm can a couple of benign comments do? That might be a potential client just trying to make contact and see what kind of person you are.

Array

most of my blogs spams are more obvious....as in ...you are so great and look at my site for poker skills......etc etc...
    ann at greenoak www.greenoakantiques.com

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Or, maybe, they are just being nice and trying to strike up a conversation.
    Probably not. It's a common spam tactic to write generic comments that just say the blogger is wonderful. Usually when the comment is generic to the point where it could apply to any post it's generally spam, especially when you get 3 from the same person on the same post.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    Or, maybe, they are just being nice and trying to strike up a conversation. It doesn't always serve to take a negative view. What harm can a couple of benign comments do? That might be a potential client just trying to make contact and see what kind of person you are.
    It would be lovely to think that Frederick, but it really is a very common spam technique. I delete spam comments like this off my blogs all the time. They try to create a relatively benign comment in hopes it will slip through, but they really don't have any interest in your blog at all. They just want the link. For me, the giveaway is usually the URL or e-mail that is listed with the comment. Lots of times they come from SEO companies.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamesray50 View Post
    I wrote a blog a few weeks ago. I don't usually get very many comments, if any. I got one on this particular blog, approved it and commented back on it. But today I have received three comments on the same blog all from the same person. Each comment is different and doesn't necessarly relate to the content of the blog. They are more on how nice the blog looks, how do you set up a blog, glad they found my blog. I have not approved these comments. What can be going on? I thought Askemet would catch stuff like this.

Thanks.
    Akismet will catch a lot of this stuff, and there are other plug-ins, like WP Spam Free, that are very good as well, but no spam catcher will stop everything. I think that's one of the reasons that spammers are creating comments like the ones that you described. They're harder to stop and harder to identify as spam. I'd just delete the comments and ban the person who left the comment. That should solve the problem.

Array

I am amazed how micro-businesses (not only here but in the real world, too) are so eager to eliminate people when the whole purpose of being in business is to win as many people as possible. Sure, be clever and delete posts and reject people and be able to say, "I don't tolerate spam - I zap 'em as soon as they appear." Maybe you'll only throw out one good lead in a hundred spams. I really don't care how many or how few. This is the wrong attitude to be imparting to micro-business owners who want to grow their business.

I dislike spam as much as the next person - more, probably - and I'll complain about it to anyone willing to listen, and try to encourage people not to do it. But I will not delete benign posts that do no harm and do not detract from one's own efforts, just for the sake of being intolerant. If you can gain anything from deleting a post then by all means delete it. If you can gain anything from banning someone from your site, then by all means ban them. But this attitude of deleting and banning people where there is nothing to gain and maybe even something to lose, is not good business.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

No one is turning away people or rejecting potential clients. Some of us simply have more experience with blog comments and have a better understanding of how comment spam works. Naturally we haven't seen the exact comments Jo Ellen received, but it's a very common practice for comment spammers to create a generic "great post" kind of comment. It looks harmless and comes across as a genuine thank you. However the person who left the comment probably never visited Jo Ellen's blog. It's more likely auto spam than a real comment.

Jo Ellen mentioned the comments were sent to moderation. When a real person submits a comment to a WordPress blog like Jo Ellen's and their post goes to moderation the person receives a message saying their comment is in moderation. A real person seeing that doesn't try to then submit two more comments that are reworded but say the same generic great post. Automated programs that leave spam comments do.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

I think the thing that's being missed is that there aren't, most likely anyway, any people involved with the spam comments, and banning them isn't going to hurt your business in the least. If anything, allowing them to stay on your blog could hurt you more. Put blog comments next to genuine comments and the difference becomes very apparent. If I see a blog with a lot of spam comments appearing on the post, I think one of two things, either the blogger is trying to ramp up the number of comments to make their blog appear more popular, or they simply don't care about the blog and approve anything, and in either case, the value of that blog is lessened, at least in my eyes.

If you are using a blog to build your business, you have to be strategic about how you do it. If you have a reasonable doubt about whether a not a comment is spam, send an e-mail to the address given with the comment and see what sort of response you get. If, however, you're familiar enough with spam to know it when you see it, then why waste any further time. If you approve the comments, you're only giving the spammer a venue and what's the good in that?