Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Problem with comments on my blog

Array

I'd rather have - and I'd prefer to visit - blogs that are active, even if most of that activity is "nice post," in preference to a blog that is getting no comments at all. A blog that has no comments is not one that instills confidence nor wins clients, I would think.

Still, hang on to that attitude, guys. I just want to offer a more positive alternative to SBF visitors. If a spammer is getting some mileage out of a comment on my blog that is not doing me any harm, what's wrong with that? I get mileage out of other peoples' blogs when I comment.

What goes around, comes around.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

what's wrong with that?
    The comments appear harmless. That doesn't mean they are harmless. The comments will link back to a spam site that could potentially affect your search ranking negatively. Worse though is that your audience might click on what could be at best a scam and at worst a phishing attack. When comment spam is left unchecked it just attracts more comment spam.

A blog that has no comments is not one that instills confidence nor wins clients
    A blog with comment spam instills less confidence and also leads to genuine commenters staying away.

This isn't about offering a positive alternative. Kristine and I aren't being negative in saying you should remove spam. Please don't try to spin it that way.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Yeah, I get those comments too, they're definitely spam. Some of the posts I've received them on isn't even showing the comments template.

Array

I've had 5 comments on this particular blog. Two were legitimate, the other three didn't have anything to do about the content. The email address from the last three were all different, but the website was the same. There was no website. I marked all three as spam. I find them annoying. Thanks for everyone's comments. It was interesting reading your alls point of view. I would rather have comments relating to my content or no comments at all.

Post Impressionist
    Array

Blog Entries

Glad we could help Jo Ellen.
    l Join me as I share my creative process and journey as a writer | StevenBradley.me
    l Design, Development, Marketing, and SEO Tutorials | Steven Bradley's Notebook
    l Get my book about Design Fundamentals

Array

Quote Originally Posted by KristineS View Post
    I think the thing that's being missed is that there aren't, most likely anyway, any people involved with the spam comments, and banning them isn't going to hurt your business in the least.
    That's exactly the point! If anyone replies to a blog in a way that is entirely unconnected to the content (as reported above) you are defeating the purpose of your blog by letting this comment stay. Your visitors are entitled to find an environment that is not littered by nonsensical praise bare of any useful thought.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    I'd rather have - and I'd prefer to visit - blogs that are active, even if most of that activity is "nice post," in preference to a blog that is getting no comments at all. A blog that has no comments is not one that instills confidence nor wins clients, I would think.

Still, hang on to that attitude, guys. I just want to offer a more positive alternative to SBF visitors. If a spammer is getting some mileage out of a comment on my blog that is not doing me any harm, what's wrong with that? I get mileage out of other peoples' blogs when I comment.

What goes around, comes around.
    I have to disagree, Frederick, I don't think deleting spammers is in any way not being positive. Spammers are doing something that's not positive, trying to hijack content on a blog for their own ends, which are most likely not legitimate. The positive thing to do is to stop them in their tracks and treat your blog like the legitimate business tool it is and save the comment space for people who will help advance the conversation that should happen on your blog in a useful manner. Cluttering up your blog with meaningless "nice post" comments isn't positive, it's actually interfering with what your blog should be doing for your business which is advancing your message and fostering conversation.

And the rationalization that a comment is a comment is not good advice for new bloggers. A comment that advances the conversation and is relevant to the post on which it is made, or which asks a helpful question, is a comment worth keeping. Allowing a lot of spam to seep through so you look like you have a lot of comments won't make your blog look more popular and effective. If anything it will make the blog look less popular and make the blogger look as he or she has no idea how to run a blog.

I'm all for being positive when possible, but spam is never useful, and I don't see how accepting it and abetting those who are spamming something you worked to create is in any way a positive thing.

Queen of the Forum
    Array

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jamesray50 View Post
    I've had 5 comments on this particular blog. Two were legitimate, the other three didn't have anything to do about the content. The email address from the last three were all different, but the website was the same. There was no website. I marked all three as spam. I find them annoying. Thanks for everyone's comments. It was interesting reading your alls point of view. I would rather have comments relating to my content or no comments at all.
    I'm glad we were able to help and not get sidetracked from answering your original question. I'm glad you were able to get rid of the spam and will now understand how to do that in the future. It's a valuable skill for every blogger to have.

Array

If you're unsure whether the comment's genuine or not, try responding to the commenter, if they don't ever respond back and just ignore, then you'll have a pretty good idea of their intentions.

Array

Quote Originally Posted by Spider View Post
    If a spammer is getting some mileage out of a comment on my blog that is not doing me any harm, what's wrong with that?
    reporting it as spam is a good thing.
    Dan Furman - Copywriter, Business Author, Entrepreneurial/Business Consultant
    Business Writing Services | Website Copywriting Services | Blog here